cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in lookup value

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SDNers,

I have a Main table, which has a field "Test" refering the lookup table "LT_Test"

The record:

Customer ID: 1

Test: INDA

The value is mispelled and I change "INDA" to "INDIA" in the lookup table. When I go back to the main table, the record is:

Customer ID: 1

Test: INDIA

Now this change happens automatically.

The requirement is, on change of Text field value in the main table due to the change in the lookup table, I want a workflow to get triggered on Record update.

If there is any other workaround, please suggest.

Thanks,

Priti

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member208981
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks all!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prithi,

As suggested by shiv you can define worflow on lookup table that will trigger on lookup table update that is happeneing in your case.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priti,

As per my understanding lookup table values are imported before main table and lookup values changes very rarely. I mean you can have some new lookup values in future which did not exist earlier but i have seen very rare scenario where as you said value for lookup table changes frequently I mean INDA to INDIA.

So i feel this thing happens very rarely and if you want to syndicate all main table records for which this value changes from INDA to INDIA will not help you by setting MDM workflow on Record Update. So solution as suggested by Aamir can help you.

But since this things happen very rarely, I would suggest after updating the field in lookup table, search for this new INDIA value in main table using free form search, you would get your main table records with value INDIA which you need to syndicate and can then add manually all these records in MDM workflow which should have 3 steps Start>Syndicate>Stop.

Other than solution suggested by Aamir, If this lookup values for lookup table somehow changes very frequently say every week (which does not happen in most of the scenario). You can use below workarounds if it fits you.

Workaround1: No need of MDM workflow, In syndicator use property Suppress unchanged records. whenever there is a need to change lookup value rather than changing existing value e.g. INDA, Create a new value(record) INDIA in your lookup table. Search for INDA in main table, all of your main table records associated with this lookup value INDA comes, Now select all the records and change this field Test from lookup INDA to INDIA when you do it it will ask for you are about to modify multiple records. Press OK, you will see your TimeStamp field now changes with current Date and Time if you set this TIME STAMP field Property on ALL or has this lookup field Test in MDM Console. So as soon as this field changes all these records will go to syndication. you can now also use MDM workflow if you want as now it will trigger on Record Update. Now you can either delete your lookup field value INDA from lookup table or can keep it there.

Workaround2: After every week you can manually trigger a workflow for all records in Main table which should has 5 steps.

Start>Branch>Assign>Syndicate>Stop1

-

>Stop2

For this you need to create one more field say Test2 in main table of type Text which will populated using field lookup field Test. Say there are 10 records in your MDM repository and 3 has value INDA, so for this 3 records Test2 has also existing value INDA. Now as you have changed value in lookup table to INDIA, same gets reflected into Test but still for Test2 as you havn't run assignment would have existing value INDA. So once you trigger this workflow manually for all these 10 records.

During Branch Step it checks for condition if Test not equal to Test2, when this condition passes it should follow Stop1 path, so all 3 records for which value has changed to INDIA will got to Assign Step where value for Test2 now will change for INDA to INDIA and then further go to syndication. for fail records all the remaining 7 records go to STOP2.

Hope it helps..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Priti,

Just in Case you Missed, you can also define workflows in MDM 7.1 on Lookup tables. So, if any value is changed in the Lookup table it will trigger a workflow. You can model this look-up table workflow as per your requirement.

To do so, define the table name on which you want to execute workflow while creating workflow.

Best Regards.

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>on change of Text field value in the main table due to the change in the lookup table

This is not a Record Update for Main table.

Main table keeps a pointer to look-up table, records are said to be updated only if the position of this pointer is changed (for e.g you assign Customer ID 2 to the main table record instead of Customer ID 1).

When you make a change to lookup table entries, the pointer is not changed so it is not a record update.

The solution for you would be to use Java API or webservice to catch this change in lookup table and then trigger the main table record for that Primary Key/Display field of Main table.

Thanks

Aamir