cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activities Are Not Released into CMS for Transport

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Kind Gurus,

I need your guidance on my current scenario. Currently, we (developers) do not release our activities that created in our NWDS after making our code change. We only do the check-in of the code and sometimes activate the activity. We did not release our transport in NWDS because we actually use the EAR generated from the build in our NWDS and then deploy it directly to the server (Dev, Test and Prod). Therefore, there will be NO activities available in CMS to execute.

Now, there is a request that they would like the CMS to be executed which means to transport if any activities that we've release. As you can see, the developers never release the activities but only check-in the codes because they're deploying the EAR file directly from the NWDS to the corresponding server (Dev, Test and Prod).

So, my questions are when the CMS is being executed, what will happen?

1. Will all the changes that we have made and deployed via the EAR File last time will be overwritten?

2. If yes, what should be done to resolve this?

SE

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not really sure about what you means by when CMS will be executed.

But, when you will release your activities, they will only be available in for import in the consolidation tab of the CMS.

Depending on the track setup, your EAR could be overwritten.

For the second question, I don't get why using CMS if you don't use the transport tools offered ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear NGUYEN VAN THAN,

Is there a way that I can keep my changes available if the EAR got overwritten?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shreya,

we could use the same NWDI track after our NWDI SP upgrade. I don't think there will be any issue.

However, creating a new track will be a safe option also. For creating a new track you'll need an SCA file which contains all the required DCs you have developed. You can check-in that SCA into this new track.

I would suggest the following:

1. Create the SCA file for creating a new track which contains all the Custom developed DCs.

2. Smoke test the existing track after SP upgrade.

3. If it works fine, no issues. If it doesn't create a new track from the SCA created.

In fact you can create a new track before the SP upgrade also and check if it has any issues. BTW, what's the issue with the existing track? It seems that, you are just not using it apart from using the DTR. If you have time and energy, you should actually try and check the existing track itself. It may not be that difficult

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ajay,

Can I know if all the effort should be handle by Basis or the Developers?

I would appreciate if you can provide me list of action items that needs to be perform by the corresponding parties if any.

Sincerely,

SE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shreya,

In our project, our developers were not activating/releasing the activities duw to some issues with NWDI.

In this case, deploying on Dev though NWDS is okay. I think you should not deploy on Q,Stage,Prod directly via NWDS.

You can follow one more approach:

You can create an SCA file cotaining all the DCs which have been changed and give this SCA file to your BASIS team to deploy on the Q,Stage,Prod systems via JSPM. You can treat this SCA file as a package for your cutover going forward.

However, if your activities are still okay and do not have any conflicts, you can try to activate and release them even now. This will get them ready to be imported in the consolidation buildspace. Newer activities created for the same files/DCs will keep overwriting the changes made by the previous activities. Ultimately you should be having the changes made through your last activity. If everything was fine, this shouldn't cause any issues.

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ajay,

Actually, my situation now is that we're planning to upgrade our NWDI with newer SP version. We're thinking of creating a new track cause we think the old track we under old SP version and may not work correctly after the upgrade.

Do you think our approach is correct?

Can you guide me to a correct route to take if there is any?

Sincerely,

SE

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have done changes, they should be in an activity. So you only have to release your activity and include it in the assembly in the CMS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear NGUYEN VAN THAN,

Is there a way if the activities are not released but the changes can still be reflected?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is only one way we can get the changes to be reflected.That you have already mentioned here

by direct deployment.

CMS is tarnsport manager in which you can transport the software componets from dev to test and to

Production system.

Either you can use CMS to reflect the changes or thrtu direct ear deployment.

Its recommended to use the transport via NWDI-CMS.

For more info check below link:

Regards,

Lavanya.G