cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track Merging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can I know if there is anyway that we can do a code merge between 2 different tracks? I have Track A whereby all the code change were made and check-in here. Now, there will be a new Track B created and in this track, I would like to find out if there is any way that we can merge the code change made in Track A to Track B?

Also, may I know how can I transport all the code merge into Track B to Dev, Test and Prod?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What are you using track B for? Why a new track?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Pascal,

The reason I'm using a new Track B is because we're doing a new support pack upgrade and hence the current Track is based on old support pack.

Does that make sense?

Sincerely,

SE

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shreya,

Please let us know the versions of your NWDI and runtime systems. Are you upgrading your NWDI or your runtime systems? How your track is setup in the NWDI (e.g. do you have separate tracks for DEV, PROD)? Do you plan to keep the old version? If not, I don't think you need to create a new track just for the SP upgrade.

Regards,

Dao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Dao,

My NWDI version is 7.00.

May I know what's the diff between upgrade the NWDI and upgrading the Runtime system?

Currently, the tracks are the same across all environment (DEV, TEST and PROD).

There is a suggestion to create a new track because of the upgrade and I'm not sure if there is any impact or if anything we need to do besides the upgrade.

Could you please enlighten me up again?

Sincerely,

SE

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shreya,

In short, NWDI (which consists of the DTR, CMS and CBS) is a tool to manage/control your NW development (Java). The NWDI should be installed on a separate SAP NW instance and it is capable of handling different versions of your runtime systems (Dev, QA, Prod). As such, it is recommended that the version of NWDI should be, at least, equal to or higher than that of the runtime systems. Note that the version of your NWDS should match that of your runtime systems. For example:

NWDI: NW 7.0 SP18 would be able to handle

Tracks and SCs for Dev1/QA1/Prod1: NW 7.0 SP18

Tracks and SCs for Dev2/QA2/Prod2: NW 2004 SPxx

As such, upgrading SP of the NWDI alone should not affect your existing tracks whereas upgrading SP of the runtime systems would need to have the appropriate required SCAs downloaded/checked in so that the CBS can trigger a rebuild of the compartments.

In the case of upgrading the runtime systems, I can understand that you'd want to create new tracks IF you want to keep the old tracks for whatever reason (e.g. keeping different Product versions); but that means you need to install new runtime systems since, obviously, you cannot have 2 different versions of the same SC in the same runtime system. Otherwise, I can't think of any reason why you'd need to create a new track just because you want to upgrade your NWDI. Maybe I'm missing something here I'd be grateful if some experts out there can confirm my thoughts, please!

Again, just a friendly reminder, the more details you provided in the first place the sooner you'd get your help. There are a lot of experts out there (like Pascal) who are valuable members with lots of experience and willing to help but it can be frustrated when they don't have enough information and don't have time to ask for more details - You certainly don't want them to pass up your questions

Regards,

Dao

Edited by: Dao Ha on Jul 8, 2010 11:39 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Dao,

Thanks for your quick response and I just can't stop awarding you points because all the details you provided are so relevant.

Dao, can I confirm with you that all the effort is something that Basis to handle or actually the developers to handle?

I would appreciate if you can provide me a list of action items that Basis and the Developers need to handle accordingly for this scenario.

Sincerely,

SE

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shreya,

I learnt a lot from others like Pascal so I'm just trying to help others if I can and I'm glad that I was able to help.

Again, you forgot to tell me the SP level of your current NWDI and the SP level you're planning to upgrade to. Note that, for example, if you go from NW 7.0 SP18 to SP21 then it's a normal upgrade; if you try to go from NW 7.0 SP18 to EhP1 SP5 or above then it's more complicated (as mentioned before, I believe the CMS changed starting with NW 7.01 SP6). In both cases, I'd assume that the responsibilities falls under the Basis team's capable hands. If your Developers plan to take control of the NWDI then I suggest you'd better take some training or read up on NWDI a lot and ... fast Good starting point would be the SCN's Wiki pages

Regards,

Dao

Edited by: Dao Ha on Jul 9, 2010 12:20 AM

Answers (0)