cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query regarding database reorganization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have been asked to reorganize the database( size 220GB Dev, size 460GB Qua, size 500GB Production)

Database is Oracle 10G, SAP version is ECC 6.0.

I tried this via BRtools on a test system(size 130GB,Oracle 10G) and nothing happens.Assuming this,I doubt any change.

However my management is insisting size must decrease by 10 -12 percent.

My query is if I reorganize the database via BRTOOLS what will be the effect on the database size.

No client is deleted on any of the system and no data has been erased by the functional team.

Any suggestion on the same will be a great help to me.

Regards,

PG

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
However my management is insisting size must decrease by 10 -12 percent.

This seems like one of those cases where management thinks 2+2 = 3

If data on the system has not suffered any drastic changes (deletion of data, archiving, etc..,) theres no reason to asume that a substancial amount of space can be recover via reorganiztion.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How much space is liberated after a re-org task is purely subjective ( system load, when the last re-org was run etc). A test system with no user activity cannot form an ideal test-bed for re-org outcome. Rather than looking out for benefit in terms of percentage of space shrunk, you could look at all avenues that can bring down the database size. The following notes might be used as a starting point.

-

SAP Note 541538 - FAQ: Reorganization

SAP Note 771929 - FAQ: Index fragmentation (Easier than a table re-org task.Can be done online ( before attempting this online, please go through the SAP Hot News announced in SAP Note 1413928 - Index corruption/wrong results after rebuild index ONLINE )

SAP Note 706478 - Preventing Basis tables from increasing considerably (Exectue the SQL query in the note to identify the tables that occupy highest space and look for corresponding solutions in this note for those tables)

Above messages' SAP Data Volume Management guide also has suggestions for triggering archiving/deleting/compressing/avoid growth where necessary

-

cheers !

PRADi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Apart from above suggestions, you may be interested in Data management to trim batabase (suggestions will impress your client)

Try following

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/25c1f5d1-0901-0010-d495-e96d02a0cb01

or search sdn with "Data Management for the mySAP Business Suite"

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

On, space gain in a situation you mentioned

"No client is deleted on any of the system and no data has been erased by the functional team"

The impact will be very minimal on the size of the database. However when you do it for production, you can hope for a better result. There are some tables such as TST03 (Spool Data), you will be gaining some space. Since the spool datas are get removed through our clean jobs.

Also the reorg may help you to gain some performace boost, if your database at present is a fragmented one.

If you want to get a better data for taking a decision for to go/ not to go. You can probably build your test system with the production database and do a test.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Sanujit