India India

Sys2 data

country code

-

India IND

While uploading data from sys1

clone field code, map it to remote key

while uploading data from sys2

clone filed code, map it to remote key AND in matching tab select only country and 'update NULL fields only'

Now in DM i can see

country code

-

India India

when i select 'edit key mapping'i can see

2 rows with 'default' cheked for both records.

Well, i have 2 questions based on the above excersie.

1) why should we use ' 'update NULL fields only'' while uploading 'sys2' data???

2) what does 'edit key mapping' table explain us?

Kind Regards

John

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member208981
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

1. The import action is to be decided based on the kind of incoming data and what you want to import.

When you say "Update NULL fields only" , what you mean is if for the particular records data already exists in data Manager, you dont it to be over written. Only those mapped fields which have NULL value should be updated.

2. Edit Key maaping: It explains from which Remote system you imported the data, what is your remote key which is unique wrt to your remote system and the ID.

For example if you are importing data from 2 different source systems. You can import this data from different remote systems.

To identify which record comes from which system, Edit key mapping helps you.

Also, Remote key maaping has other advantages.. like key generation while syndicating.

Thanks,

Priti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

1)

""

When you say "Update NULL fields only" , what you mean is if for the particular records data already exists in data Manager, you dont it to be over written. Only those mapped fields which have NULL value should be updated.

""

well, here in my example there is no field with NULL values init.

Like Country has INDIA

Code has INDIA

2)As mentioned in my previous post, when i open 'Edit key mapping' i can see

-> 2 rows with default option cheked in for both, with details of remote system.

well, i understand that it shows the number of records with RS details but why is that Default cheked in for both the records??

On the other hand In DM Record pane i can see the First record and not the one which i imported by RS2. Can i make it Vice versa ? Can anyone explain me the logic behind it??

Thanks

Kind Regards

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

why is that Default cheked in for both the records??

So that if once again these records not need to be syndicated to their respective systems(after cleansing data in MDM) then correspondingly Material with key M123 goes to systemA and with key A123 goes to system B.

@Sudhanshu, then how it become a same record in mdm if key value is different for records. or matching field are different than material no. As per above example, you will see i gave Material Description which is same for both the systems. So we must have one common field among all the systems to identify that these records are same records. It could be any field which should be accepted GLOBALLY (like Global Material Number or MDM Material Number or Global ID etc etc)

So key value is a identifier(key) for remote systems. So that once after cleansing data in MDM we distribute data back to remote systems A and B, it should go to system A with Key M123 and with systemB with key A123 and thus updated all the fields corresponding to these keys(identifier) in their respective systems.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

then why we use remote key as matching field when that table is remote key enabled.

Duplicacy can be achieved by field that is global and unique also.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhanshu,

then why we use remote key as matching field when that table is remote key enabled.

This is not always true, it all depends on your requirement and Scenario. Please have a look on Countries table example below where we don't need to use Remote key as matching field rather use DF in order to have unique Countries Name.

Duplicacy can be achieved by field that is global and unique also.

Yes you can find duplicates using Global ID field.

@ John, When you said 'If you have two remote keys for same sytem '.

It may possible in your R/3 systems you have created duplicated record.

e.g. Countries table in remote system A

CountryName CountryCode

INDIA IND

INDIA IN

countries table in remote system B

CountryName CountryCode

INDIA India

Now after importing data into MDM, when you see in Edit key mapping, there will be 3 records,

Remotesystem RemoteKey

RemoteSystemA IND

RemoteSystemA IN

RemoteSystemB India

Then you will see that check box for remote system A is enabled for any of these two RemoteKey either IND or IN, Which has any of these is ticked checkbox only that remotekey will be syndicated back to remote system A.

So for every one remote system one of the your remote key record is always ticked (Checkbox) thats why here for remote system 2 you would not able to unchecked (not unticked).

For this you can test this manually, in Edit key mapping pop up window, as you have already two records in Edit key mapping. Now Add one new record select remote system as existing remote systemA and give some key say 123 , you will see for these two remote systemsA records you can checked only one of this key which means it is a active record which will be syndicated with this checked remote key to remote system

Onthe otherhand in Repositoy we cannot define whether a particular field is Key field or not, we just mention the table as Key mapping enabled or not. Is my understanding correct??

I didn't get you exactly but still check below example if it helps you. Say you have countries data as shown below:

Remotesystem A (source file)

CountryName CountryCode

INDIA IND

Remotesystem B (Source file)

CountryName CountryCode

INDIA India

In MDM, you also have lookup flat table Countries which has one field CountryName(DF) of type Text

So after visualizing you can conclude that CountryName can act as matching field during Import and Remotekeys as CountryCode. So when you do import using Remotesystem A, your Matching field should be Country Name for unique value. If you select Remote key as Matching field, it will create two records in MDM which is not correct.

CountryName(DF)

INDIA

INDIA

So your Matching field during Import makes a lot of significance and your Import Action also(Update All mapped fields, Update Null fields only). As remote key concept is a huge concept in itself so still hope both of you got lil bit better idea.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mandeep,

Thanks for that detailed reply.

The following are my conclusions after reading the above posts.

If in sys1 there are 2 codes (IND, IN) for the similar remote key value(INDIA)then they are considered as 2 remote keys for the same system. In edit key mapping you can check (tick) any one of the remote key for that system.

1)

If you wish to syndicate this data back to sys1 then, Only that record(checked one) can be syndicated in future.

So, sys1 when gets back its data it will have 1 record((checked one) back instead of 2(which was sent to MDM earlier).

Is this true??

If my req says, once you import the data from sys1 then migrate it to sys2. Even then i can only syndicate 1 record(checked one) or 2??

2) Here 'IN' record is in Record Pane and second record and first are in edit key map window.

when i write validations or assignments etc on this table all the manipulations will be done on the record that is being displayed in Record pane ('IN'). Is this TRUE ??

If so, when all manipulations are done on 'IN' recod and if i check (tick) the 'IND' one in edit key window, then this will move outside wherein no manipulations are done on this!!!!!

This is just becoz 'IN' record is on record pane and IND is cheked in edit key window.

General question:

If a field is Display field, even if you try to import duplicate values, it imports only unique ones.

Like sys1 has

Cname(DF) CODE

india IND

india IN

In DM i can see only second record. Is this behavior correct.

Kind Regards

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

I got the point.

As u said that remote key is huge concept ,so if you have any good article on this topic then please share with us.

Secondly i just want to know that during syndication if we set property override remotekey property then fr each remote key for each system there will be one record generate during syndication.ie. if recrd contain 3 remote keys then 3 record will output during syndication.

And as far as i know in mdm spo5 there is xml tag defaultkey type boolean which is default record and which is not for each system.

Thanks,

sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mandeep,

Please help me in answers my below questions!!!

The following are my conclusions after reading the above posts.

If in sys1 there are 2 codes (IND, IN) for the similar remote key value(INDIA)then they are considered as 2 remote keys for the same system. In edit key mapping you can check (tick) any one of the remote key for that system.

1)

If you wish to syndicate this data back to sys1 then, Only that record(checked one) can be syndicated in future.

So, sys1 when gets back its data it will have 1 record((checked one) back instead of 2(which was sent to MDM earlier).

Is this true??

If my req says, once you import the data from sys1 then migrate it to sys2. Even then i can only syndicate 1 record(checked one) or 2??

2) Here 'IN' record is in Record Pane and second record and first are in edit key map window.

when i write validations or assignments etc on this table all the manipulations will be done on the record that is being displayed in Record pane ('IN'). Is this TRUE ??

If so, when all manipulations are done on 'IN' recod and if i check (tick) the 'IND' one in edit key window, then this will move outside wherein no manipulations are done on this!!!!!

This is just becoz 'IN' record is on record pane and IND is cheked in edit key window

KR

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Can anyone answer my questions in the above post

KR

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Question

1)If you wish to syndicate this data back to sys1 then, Only that record(checked one) can be syndicated in future.

Ans : it depend upon your syndication Mapping and configuration

Is this true??

Ans: Yes, in edit key mapping which ever remote system selected based upon that records will syndicate

Ans : if sys1 and sys2 both are ticked then it will syndicate 2 records else one again its depend upon your syndication Mapping and configuration

Ans : what ever validation and assignment you write it will work on records level that is in MDM Data Manager not remote system level if you want to do on remote system level then you need to do aroung by using workflow

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

1)

Is this true??

I think You are confused with remote key concept.

There is only one record in MDM for that 2 records of system 1 because mdm always contain refined and cleasened data.

Edit key mapping table contain two record because when you syndicate data it will update the data of default key in remote system.

Countries table in remote system A

CountryName CountryCode

INDIA IND

INDIA IN

and you make default key to IN then when you syndicate the data back to remote system then only record which have code IN will update with the update info not the INDIA one.

As far as i know that only checked default key data will update but i have seen in sp05 presentation that when you syndicate data then for all keys the syndicator will syndicate data with one element called <default key> which is set TRUE for check one where as FALSE for all other keys.

Please check on page27 in this link

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e0f6bd20-b864-2d10-e2b2-f7e6a713f...

Only system 2 data will go back to system2 not the system 1 data.

It will go only if you include other system i.e. system1 in property "remote key override" and in this case if remote system1

contain two keys for a record then it will output one record for each key.

please check on page 168 in syndicator reference guide.

This is just becoz 'IN' record is on record pane and IND is cheked in edit key window

No Your understanding is wrong.

As i already mentioned that MDM will store only one record so that modification is applied for both keys but on syndication

that data is only updated for IND not for IN in remote system 1 and if syndication output will contain record for both keys then it will update both record in system1.

Hope it clarifies yr doubt.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John

Please update us abt yr status.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Having read with Complete refernce and some blogs, as you said, i am completly confused with Key mapping.

I tried to understand the key mapping concept so that i can have a FLOW Chart infront of me which explains How it works in different situations.

Leaving all the above can you please give me a detailed step by step flow for Key mapping concept with a simple example whch covers all the possibilities right from defining,importing and syndicating.

Please take some time and give me the example which covers all the features of Key mapping.

KR

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

1) If you wish to syndicate this data back to sys1 then, Only that record(checked one) can be syndicated in future.

your understanding is correct. Remote key with ticked checkbox will be only syndicated for remote system A.

Is this true?? If my req says, once you import the data from sys1 then migrate it to sys2. Even then i can only syndicate 1 record(checked one) or 2??

See In Edit key mapping, you have both remote System and Remote system Key, say once you import data from sys1 then obviously Remote system and Key you will find under Edit Key Mapping corresponding to Sys1 only. So during syndication record with Remote key will be go for sys1 only not for sys2 (as you should have imported record with remote key and remote system for Sys2 also in edit key mapping to syndicate record for sys2)

when i write validations or assignments etc on this table all the manipulations will be done on the record that is being displayed in Record pane ('IN'). Is this TRUE ?? If so, when all manipulations are done on 'IN' recod and if i check (tick) the 'IND' one in edit key window, then this will move outside wherein no manipulations are done on this!!!!!

This is just becoz 'IN' record is on record pane and IND is cheked in edit key window.

See, Maipulations are always done on Record level not on remote key.

e.g. record with remote system sys1 with key IN and following field imported into import Manager

MaterialNo. MaterialDes MaterialColor MaterialSize country

123 ABC Black 10inches INDIA

Similarly, suppose same record from remote system sys1 with remote key IND and following fields imported into MDM.

MaterialNo. MaterialDes MaterialColor MaterialSize Country

123 ABC Black 10inches INDIA

And when you do manipulation say assignment in Data Manager that happens at record level. I mean say in Edit Key Mapping, you have two remote keys for sys1 and ticked one is IN, Now you are doing manipulations, now after manipulation you left with record with following fields in data Manager

MaterialNo. MaterialDes MaterialColor MaterialSize Country

123 AB Black 10meter IND

so, whatever remote key you have ticked in Edit key mapping you will have the same values for fields as maintained in DM.

If you remote key still IN is ticked, record out of MDM has following information

RemoteKey MaterialNo. MaterialDes MaterialColor MaterialSize Country

IN 123 AB Black 10meter IND

If you have changed your ticked Checkbox now to IND, after manipulation still values for fields out of MDM will be same as manipulations done at record level not at remote system and remote key level. Record out of MDM has following information

RemoteKey MaterialNo. MaterialDes MaterialColor MaterialSize Country

IND 123 AB Black 10meter IND

Hope you got my point.

General question:

If a field is Display field, even if you try to import duplicate values, it imports only unique ones.

Like sys1 has

Cname(DF) CODE

india IND

india IN

In DM i can see only second record. Is this behavior correct.

This behavior is absolutely correct, see matching field which you select during Import always import records based on Unique values.

you will able to see single record if you have selected matching field as Cname(DF) since two records for Cname has same values india, but will have two keys IN and IND, if you are importing records using remote key concept.

On the other hand, if you select Remote key(if you mapped source Code with target Remote key) as your matching field you will get two records as IND is differ from IN (will be considered as two distinct records)

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed answers.

I have imported data from 2 remote systems RS1 RS2.

Now, data in my record pane.

Country code

India IN

data in my 'EDIT KEY MAPPING TABLE'

Country Remote system key

india rs1 ind

india rs1 in Checked

india rs1 india

india rs2 in

india rs2 ind checked

now i have done some assignment operation on the record.

when the value at country field is changed than all the country field values in edit key mapping window are also changed.

Is this behaviour correct??

And there is a change for the 'CODE' field then NO value in edit key mapping window are changed.

On the otherhand, i have created a remote system of type outbound (rs3).

in the syndicater,

i have created 2 destination fields, name and code.

now in item mapping at source level i can see

Remote key (node)

remote system

remote value

name

code

in destnation , name and code fields.

Now i prefer to syndicate some records which are in the edit key mapping window.

How should we map this source and destination values to achive the result??

Does anyone have any idea!!!

Please help me in chasing this concept

KR

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

when the value at country field is changed than all the country field values in edit key mapping window are also changed.

And there is a change for the 'CODE' field then NO value in edit key mapping window are changed.

This behavior is absolutely correct.

Now i prefer to syndicate some records which are in the edit key mapping window.

How should we map this source and destination values to achive the result??

For this as you have remote systems as rs1 and rs2 only.

Create four fields in Destination items TName, TCode, TRemote system and TRemote key.

Map Source with target fields as shown below:

remote system TRemote system

remote value TRemote key

name TName

code TCode

Also make sure that before doing fields mapping as suggested above in Item Mapping tab. In Syndicator, Go to File>New>Select Type = Flat, Remote system = rs1 or rs2 and then press OK and then do field mapping in Item Mapping tab. if you have selected Remote system = rs1, then the flat file which you syndicate on your desktop will have TRemote Key as in (because it is checked), if you select remote system as rs2 here then your file syndicated would have value ind

Note: If you select remote system as rs3, your target field TRemote Key would not have any value as you have values corresponding to Remote sytem rs1 and rs2 in Edit key mapping window.

If this solves your query please mark thread as answered.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

its pretty clear now.

If i choose rs3, then as the 'edit key mapping window' does not have values for rs3 then,

Should we need to create 'only' 2 fields,

like name and code ??

No remote system and key fields are created!!!!!

If that is true, if i wish to migrate the key data of rs1 to rs3 than how can i do it??

KR

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Yes your understanding is correct since If you choose rs3, then as the 'edit key mapping window' does not have values for rs3 then, it would only give remote system key as empty (Null value), I mean no remote system and keys will be generated.

If that is true, if i wish to migrate the key data of rs1 to rs3 than how can i do it??

Ok I got your Point while syndicating data for rs3, you want key values of remote system rs1 .

See as suggested in above post, for this

In Syndicator, Go to File>New>Select Type = Flat, Remote system = rs1 and then press OK and then do field mapping in Item Mapping tab. In Item mapping tab, You need to create four fields at target side as in rs1 case.:

Map three fields of source with target as shown below:

remote value TRemote key

name TName

code TCode

and for fourth left field TRemote SystemI(this should not need to be mapped with source remote system), just go to Destination Items tab-->in Properties, Put value Static Text = rs3 . So in this way you will have remote keys of rs1 and remote system value as rs3 as it is Static value.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

++Now i prefer to syndicate some records which are in the edit key mapping window.++

++How should we map this source and destination values to achive the result??++

++For this as you have remote systems as rs1 and rs2 only.++

++Create four fields in Destination items TName, TCode, TRemote system and TRemote key.++

++Map Source with target fields as shown below:++

++remote system TRemote system++

++remote value TRemote key++

++name TName++

++code TCode++

++Also make sure that before doing fields mapping as suggested above in Item Mapping tab. In Syndicator, Go to File>New>Select Type = Flat, Remote system = rs1 or rs2 and then press OK and then do field mapping in Item Mapping tab. if you have selected Remote system = rs1, then the flat file which you syndicate on your desktop will have TRemote Key as in (because it is checked), if you select remote system as rs2 here then your file syndicated would have value ind++

Hi ,

Based on your above suggestion i tried to syndicate to rs2 system.

'edit key mapping window' values 'FOR rs2' are

name remote system key

india RS2 IIA

india RS2 IA "CHECKED"

In record pane there is one record.

name country

india IND

In synd i created 4 fields as suggested.

now in file i can see 2 records.

Name Country Remotesys remote key

india IND rs2 IIA

india IND rs2 IA

Now, as i 'checked ' the second record in 'edit key mapping window' values 'FOR rs2' , it syndicate only 2nd record!!!

But it syndicated 2 records!! How can i control this??

Please let me know.

KR

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Can anyone take some time to answer my above query.

KR

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone help in answering my above query.

KR

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understood that this kind of requirement is fullfilled with mdm 7.1. wherein you will find a default key option in item mapping while syndication. thanks for your help guys.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

1) why should we use ' 'update NULL fields only'' while uploading 'sys2' data???

It all depends on your scenario and requirement. It could be because of:

1. Say your MDM Repository has 10 fields and you are populating 5 fields from system1 and rest 5(Null fields) from system2.

So here for sys2 you can use option Update NULL fields only.

2. Say your MDM Repository has 10 fields and you are populating 8 fields from system1 and need to populate only rest 2(Null fields) from system 2 but your source structure from system2 has 5 fields. So keeping in mind that you want only two fields populated from system2 and for remaining 3 fields from Source structure system2, you dont want to override these already 3 fields populated from System1. So here as per requirement, for sys2 you should use option Update NULL fields only.

This mapping gives the local key maintained by system1 and system2.

Basically it helps in avoiding duplicate records, say system1 is at some location say Mumbai and here we have key for material as M123

Say MaterialNo MaterialDescription

M123 IronK123

and other system2 which is at some other location XYZ has key starting from A123

Say MaterialNo Material Description

A123 IronK123

But when these two records comes from these systems system1 and system2, we should know that these two records from two systems SystemA and SystemB are same records but have different key. So these two records in MDM should be maintained as single record not twice (Duplicated) and where this key mapping concept comes into picture and makes significance.

So that if once again these records not be syndicated to their respective systems(after cleansing data in MDM) then correspondingly Material with key M123 goes to systemA and with key A123 goes to system B.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Mandeep,

I am not very good at remote key concept and always confused with the concept.

As you described above that

for system A value is

M123 IronK123

for sytem B

A123 IronK123

then how it become a same record in mdm if key value is different for records.

or matching field are different than material no.

Please clarify my doubt.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As per my understanding Key mapping stores key fields which has different codes.

Like in my example..

I have 2 systems SYS1 and SYS2.

Sys1 data

country | code

-

India India

Sys2 data

country | code

-

India IND

Here key field is ""Country"".

This Key field is maintaining multiple codes for the same data from differrent systems.

Well, my question is

1)

""

""

well, here in my example there is no field with NULL values init.

after first import,

Country has India

Code has India.

2)As mentioned in my previous post, when i open 'Edit key mapping' i can see

-> 2 rows with default option cheked in for both, with details of remote system.

well, i understand that it shows the number of records with RS details but why is that Default cheked in for both the records??

On the other hand In DM Record pane i can see the First record and not the one which i imported by RS2. Can i make it Vice versa ? Can anyone explain me the logic behind it??

Your answer:

So that if once again these records not be syndicated to their respective systems(after cleansing data in MDM) then correspondingly Material with key M123 goes to systemA and with key A123 goes to system B

So we cant manully uncheck them?

Moreover in my above question: In DM Record pane i can see the First record and not the one which i imported by RS2. Can i make it Vice versa ? Can you please answer this?

Thanks.

Kind Regards

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

So we cant manully uncheck them?

Yes you can manually uncheck them.Atleast one remote key should be default.If you have two remote keys for same sytem then its possible to change the default remote key.

Like in remote system you have two records which have same global key but different local unique ket taht we match to remote key during import.

So when you do import in MDM these two record then for same record two keys will maintain for same system,now you can change the deafault key to any one of them.

Moreover in my above question: In DM Record pane i can see the First record and not the one which i imported by RS2. Can i make it Vice versa ? Can you please answer this?

You are seing only first record because you use "update null fileds only" ,if you use "update mapped fields" then you can see 2nd record data .

You can do vice versa.

If you want to do vice versa with "update null fileds only" then first import second record then first.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Atleast one remote key should be default.If you have two remote keys for same sytem then its possible to change the default remote key.

Like in remote system you have two records which have same global key but different local unique ket taht we match to remote key during import.

So when you do import in MDM these two record then for same record two keys will maintain for same system,now you can change the deafault key to any one of them.

When you said 'If you have two remote keys for same sytem '.

Well, Remote key in my understanding is the key field.

two remote keys means 2 key fields in a table.

Is my understanding correct??

Onthe otherhand in Repositoy we cannot define whether a particular field is Key field or not, we just mention the table as Key mapping enabled or not.

Kind Regards

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Well, Remote key in my understanding is the key field.
two remote keys means 2 key fields in a table.

Remote keys is a key field in remote system for that remote sytem table.But when we do import we use global unique field that is common in different system so that no duplicates record get created.

REmote system A

localUniquefiled description globaluniquefield

1 lightred 12

2 darkred 12

remote system B

localUniquefiled description globaluniquefield

1 lightred 12

2 darkred 12

when we do import we use "globaluniquefield" as a matching record field

we find only one recod in mdm but for that record each system have two keys i.e. 1 and 2

Onthe otherhand in Repositoy we cannot define whether a particular field is Key field or not, we just mention the table as Key mapping enabled or not.

You can define field as unique in maintable.

like maintable has structure like

description globaluniquefield

and you can define "globaluniquefield" so that whenever record with same id will come it will update the existing record.In this case you cannot create a new record for same globaluniquefield data.

Hope it helps in clearing yr doubt.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

We use update nul fields only when we want data will cahnge on for fields that have null value . Its not like why we are using in 2 nd acse ,its all depend on the requirement.May be in yr case its is known that no update data will come from other systems or dont want any updation of existing data from another system.

Basically it expalin the unique identifier for that record for particular system.It is basically used when we do syndication.

Thanks,

sudhanshu