cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To display report showing SAP server is up & running using ABAP WebDynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have requirement for ABAP webdynpro application, we have SAP servers running in windows OS & are mounted on vmware, now i have to write the WDP to find if these servers are up & running ( target will be to check SAP services running or not), is there any method or any way to gather this information using ABAP WD application. Report will show the SAP server details & system status.

Thanks,

Digamber.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas, it was very usefule,

I have another concern can i use the same method to call BAPI call for other system with rfc destination created seperately for each server, how can i send the destination as variable to this method as i try doing it but no luck. why am i asking this because if i go on creating the methods for each server will my application become heavy in terms of loading the view or window. since i am handling this all method in WDDOINIT method of view.

please suggest what will be best approach. & also i am getting exception when i call the method , please let me know how to catch the exception thrown from method called or should i need to check within the method.

Thanks,

Digamber.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>how can i send the destination as variable to this method as i try doing it but no luck

You can use a character based variable after DESTINATION to supply an SM59 entry dynamically. What kinds of problems have you had doing this?

>will my application become heavy in terms of loading

Yes, probably. I wouldn't recommend placing this in the WDDOINIT for this reason. At least let the user trigger the call so they expect the long wait. Consider putting the RFC calls into a background job and storing the results in a temporary database table. You can then update the UI with the TimedTrigger UI element. If you are on 7.02, you can use the superior Notification Service to run the checks aschronously and update the UI as they finish.

Look at the syntax help for CALL FUNCTION. There are options for calling RFC Asynchronously. If you go with the background job you might also combine it with the STARTING NEW TASK option so that multiple calls to different systems can run in parallel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas,

is it possible to write WD application to call the BAPI from different system and check if BAPI is successful then system is up & running. if this ok can you let me know how to call the BAPI with proper user credintial provided in the application.

thanks,

Digamber.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes you can call a BAPI from WDA, just the same way you would call a BAPI from any piece of ABAP coding: using the CALL FUNCTION ... DESTINATION. In the DESTINATION option place the RFC destination that you maintain in transaction SM59.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

This doesn't really seem to be a Web Dynpro ABAP releated question. Regardless of the UI layer (WDA or SAPGUI), the question is the same - is there a service you can call to check the status of the remove VM systems. It isn't even really an ABAP question. You really need to ask if the VM system expose some Web Services you could call. Unless these other systems are ABAP systems running on them (where you could call CCMS), ABAP isn't going to have general APIs to just read OS status on a non-ABAP system.