cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you feel about the changes

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ladies and gentlemen, I wonder how do you feel about the changes you can spot everywhere around?

What about the "dashboard"?:)))) Who likes the "forum dashboard"?

Looks like some of the bugs were corrected. Or all of them? Can you spot any more bugs?

Let us know, what you think,

regards Otto

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

Ladies and gentlemen, I wonder how do you feel about the changes you can spot everywhere around?

Otto, now I'm affraid to say anything because it could get even worse... We fought so much to get a decent font size and now I have to do 3x zoom in Firefox when posting a reply.

Not sure if it's just me, but the frame layout seems to be off when viewing the posts. Text is too wide and kind of spills over to the gray background. It looks funky.

I don't really see anything fixed and the dashboard was fine the way it was. Why was this change even needed?

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

@Jelena: Which browser are you using?

I noticed myself, that in Firefox, the forums at times look strange. It seems to be fine in Chrome and IE though. Is that what you are seeing? (am not saying you need to switch to a different browser, obviously it should work in FF also, am just checking for more details, so I can get the issue addressed)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Otto Gold wrote:

I am sorry for the first post, I believed that things were fixed. I saw a change here and there, quickly checked the number of posts, saw no negative numbers --->>> I wanted to believe (the truth is out there or what was the X-files motto?:))))

I don't really see anything fixed and the dashboard was fine the way it was. Why was this change even needed?

Martin, I like your style, so you´re the first one to ask for me: why did this happen? Why such a minor change when so many fatal errors remain unchanged?

Regards Otto

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Martin, thanks for a reply.

It happens in both IE and FF. Here are the steps that I did this morning:

1) Got an email ('You are watching the thread...'), clicked on the link in it ('To view the thread, visit...').

2) As usual in the past few months (someone else also reported the same problem in this forum), IE did not pick up the digital certificate and I got 'Welcome Guest'. But everything looks fine here.

3) I changed 'http' to 'https' in the address bar. IE prompted for certificate. Now I am logged in and can see my dashboard, but the posts are all misshapen and the text area is too wide. This also shifts the banner in the top right corner and the tiny question mark button to the far right side.

Maybe it has something to do with the dashboard change, because everything looks OK when I'm not logged in.

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

@Jelena: thanks! With your help I was able to reproduce this exactly and have now addressed the issue to the dev team. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

On your questions:

> I don't really see anything fixed and the dashboard was fine the way it was. Why was this change even needed?

why did this happen? Why such a minor change when so many fatal errors remain unchanged?

On why did this happen in terms of why haven't these issues been detected before the go-live of this release, we are currently following up with the technical team that are implementing these changes, they have already pledged to review their testing processes and we offered our help to make sure these work better.

On why did this happen in terms of why change it in the first place, I know of a few reasons, there might be more though.

For one the re-arrangement of the Dashboard etc. was a white-space optimization as well as fixing some alignment inconsistencies. Part of this is due to the introduction of ads, which I know not all of you are very fond of. Altogether from my perspective SCN is still making relatively little use of advertisements compared to other similar sites. If the ads are basically a given, at least the space should still be somewhat optimized, to make them visible yet as unintrusive as possible.

Even before the ads were introduced we had some alignment issues though.

The changes are by no means meant as a large scale redesign of the forums, just a bit of tweaking to improve the user experience.

We are also currently internally evaluating many of the suggestions summarized in this thread: and will surely be in touch with you through some means relatively soon on some of these. Going forward - and I realize I mentioned this before - we'd like to move some of the SCN or SCN Forum improvement discussions or ideas in general how to improve SCN or parts of it to the [SCN area within Idea Place |https://ideas.sap.com/community/community_and_services/sapcommunitynetwork]. However we do realize that all of you using S-users still can't logon to Idea Place, so for now we are totally happy with having discussions here or discussing specific suggestions made through blogs or other means.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Don't want to make any excuses for what happened especially the last two months to the forums, definitely not good, however let's not forget how often this forum as well as the rest of SCN is working very well for all of us and also how large of a landscape it really is.

E.g. just to throw out some relatively random statistic, last week on Tuesday June 29th we had over 12,400 concurrent users logged on to SCN. This is obviously a peak and it's for all of SCN, not just the forums, but still am just saying...

For Jive, let's not take the easy way out and just blame them. As I had mentioned in another thread earlier, the current Jive Forums software we are running is not sold anymore and is under limited maintenance. We know that and knew it when it ran out of regular maintenance, but weren't ready to make a decision of where to go next just yet. On top of that we had to enhance Jive quite a bit to make it work for SCN, which of course can cause issues if we decide to improve certain parts of it further. Again, am not trying to come up with excuses, just to put things into perspective.

Of course we also have a QA landscape in place, but obviously we need to leverage it better. We are working with the technical team supporting SCN to adjust these processes and avoid similar painful issues going forward.

Keep your feedback coming! Am still relativly new to the team, but I see more and more action coming out of very good discussions here on SCN. (and am thoroughly enjoying being a part of that)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

we had over 12,400 concurrent users logged on to SCN.

You basis guys must work hard, we understand that, we appreciate that. But the infrastructure and the length of the bug report are different things (different teams?).

I wonder how many "developers" work on the issues/ SDN development/ maintenance? Or this information is classified? Just to make sure there are no 3 millions of hostages taken by 2 "developers":)))))

Otto

Edited by: Otto Gold on Jul 7, 2010 3:14 PM

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Not classified but different organizations and some of the technical folks supporting us on SCN are also supporting other SAP internal web-properties, that are part of our intranet. So tough to say, definitely more than 2

If you are planning to go to Teched, usually some of these folks are there, so you can talk to them directly.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are planning to go to Teched, usually some of these folks are there, so you can talk to them directly.

I am afraid to have to stand in the corner for my frequent complaints:)))

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the feedback and the transparency. I understand that you and the team are trying to do their best and that SDN is heavily loaded with a lot of concurrent users.

My only concern is that SDN is not managed by a small startup company but by one of the bigger software vendor company in the world. That is the reason why we are more demanding .

I'm sorry to tell you that but telling us that you still use old unsupported Jive software made me laugh.

Every support we get from SAP says that we have to stay current with SP stacks, with EHP and with kernel patch levels !

Look at any Early Watch report...

In French, we have a saying :

"The shoemaker has always the worst shoes."

Best Regards,

Olivier

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Or the shoemaker's children go barefoot. We want new shoes as badly as you do and our management is working toward getting some made. It's painful for us to walk on tiptoe around here given we know you deserve better footware.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As long as it is the community networking lounge corner you should be safe.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Posts number was fixed for example.

But whose idea was to set align:right for the quite markup?

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This thread will tell you that there are more bugs than fixes after the recent update.

Also, the number of replies* of a thread (negative reading) has not been fixed (check ABAP General for example).The right allignment was not a feature. Its a bug! The edit option was not working untill coupla hours ago, but that has been fixed now.

The Dashboard was better or being on the right side. Making it left-alligned means the thread list goes a little further down - meaning more scrolling to the end of list.

Font size while composing your message is still in nano-numbers!

Making Search Forum right-alligned is a good feature keeping with conventional method across different websites.

The Top 3 Contributors banner in Coffee Corner is gone, which is a good sensible thing.

pk

*edit - Views replaced with replies

Edited by: kishan P on Jul 7, 2010 2:40 PM

MaheshChandra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Posts number was fixed for example. 9quote working

code is working fine  

Post number is still coming in negative numbers start from -1 and spell check is not fixed,

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don´t tell me we will have to wait another month for a new bag of bugs?:))))

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Aren't you glad the update happens only once a month 😛

pk

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am so curious how can this happen. These guys don´t have any test/QAS systems? Man, this is SAP. Everybody must have a QAS, or not? Sometimes I feel like Alice in Wonderland...

Otto

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well... its not SAP. Its Jive we are dealing with. Its ok there are errors and bugs with this third party interface. But the sad part is that SAP is taking refuge in the fact that "its not SAP".

IMO either SAP has to either fire Jive or have a specialized Jive-expert-team. And more importantly have a QAS system in place. Plus a forum that fixes all bugs on priority.

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As I said before, SDN forums with this Jive Software system are a SAP J2EE Portal showcase for us, SAP customers.

That is why I don't understand why this system is not considered more important (about release and bug wise, response time).

For example, I would never consider to advice my company to buy a forum software from Jive if we ever get the need because of my experience on SDN...

Regards,

Olivier

MaheshChandra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Even its a jive software or any other it has to be check by SAP people since they are responsible for this.

After one day they succesfully solved the "Preview" buttom issue but what about the other ones.

after upgrading the EP in our company if we face the same type of problems then SSO help us or not? or

simply they through stone on "Jive".

So i think Quality testing should be properly maintained before doing this in live.

Regards

mahesh