cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weighted moving average planning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are doing weighted average planning. We will consider the past nine monthu2019s consumption and will decide the future requirement.

Our calculation is as below

Consumption Weight age Consumption/Weight age

0 1 0

1 2 0.5

10 3 3.33

15 4 3.75

32 5 6.4

400 6 66.67

500 7 71.43

40 8 5

10 9 1.11

Sum = 158.18

Sum/9 = 17.57

How to map this in SAP. I have selected weighted moving average in material master forecasting view and in configuration I have maintained the weighting factor against my weighing group. But, I am not getting the correct result when I execute forecast.

Please explain me how system calculates and how I have to maintain the weighing factor.

Thanks and Regards

Pavan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can any one help me. How to configure the "Weighed Moving Average" Forecast function in SAP BI-IP. And how it works.

Thanks

PS

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi PS,

I think you mean that you want to do the calculation for weighted moving average in infopackage.

It's not a good idea. SAP APO provides functionality to do this calculation in DP (Demand Planning), and that is where this calculation should be done.

As the name suggests, you calculate the average of the past history data while giving suitable weightage to the data from different periods, and then this "weighted average" value would be used as the forecast value for the coming months. You can easily write code for this kind of calculation in the routine, but since forecasting is APO functionality, I would not recommend to do this kind of calculation in the infopackage.

Thanks - Pawan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I am assuming that the information you have provided is consumption for the same material at consecutive periods of time (months, etc). My suggestion would be to check the following points:

- How many intervals is SAP using to calculate the weighted average (you have 9 months but SAP might be using the last 12 - I think that's the default value)

- How big is the difference between your calculation and SAP results. There might be a problem of floating point give the big variation in the consumption values (from 1 to 400-500 and then back to 30 or so). For a forecast model this variation is very dififcult to handle properly even for sophisticated systems. The handling of the error would cause significant variations in the end results. For instance, results for a 90% confidence level may vary significantly for a 95% confidence level

- As a corollary of the point above, may I suggest that you revised the consumption figures to better "explain" the big jump from 30 to 400 and back to 30. Was that an anomally on youor sales cycle? if so, you should remove the anomaly (in fact, reduce the consumption) and try again. If not, you may have to include the more periods in your analysis not only 9 to account for previous "anomalies"

This might not be the straight answer you were looking for but unfortunatelly it might require a bit of of work.

Please let me know if I can help you further or if I completely misunderstood the question.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is this query related to functionlity in SAP R/3 - ECC or APO.

Regards

Datta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Datta,

This requirement is in R/3

Thanks and Regards

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check if OSS note 1106328 ( Forecast "Moving Average" returns only zeros' is applciable.

Regards

Datta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Datta,

Its not returning only zero. System gives some value. In the above case expected value is 18 but system gives 135.

I think I have entered weighting factor wrongly. Please tell me how I have to enter the wighting factor. Please also tell me the formula. I checked the formula in help but it is not very clear

Thanks and Regards

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shouldn't be easier to switch to exponential smoothing (say alpha=0.3) even in ECC? Then the formula will be straigtforward, try wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_smoothing

It wont give the same result, but functionally it will be quite similar...

hope this helps...