cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which kernel components should be applied together?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I thought there was a SAP note, which described the kernel components that should be applied together.

And I thought this was a i5/OS specific note.

There was a list from some component which always should be applied together and not seperate.

(e.g. DW, TP, r3trans....)

Do someone know this note or can give me the answer?

Regards

Tobias

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

There may have been cases where several components had to be applied at the same time, but I cannot find an example now either. Maybe there was a case once or twice, but that has become obsolete in the meantime.

In general, SP-Stacks have been introduced to provide a tested combination of patches that should work together. For SAP release 4.6D, this is documented in SAP Note 732453, for 6.40 it is documented in SAP Note 904977, for 7.00 and higher you have to load SAPEXE.SAR and SAPEXEDB.SAR.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

thanks for your reply.

I know that SAP Support Packages stacks including tested components, which should work fine.

But sometime you have to apply for example a new DW Patch because of a known bug or something.

And I thought there was a note, that you shouldn't patch DW alone. Either you have to apply some other components with the DW together.

But when I understand you right, this is obsolete in the meantime...?

0 Kudos

It may depend on the kernel release and the patch levels you apply. Sometimes there are dependencies between O4PRTLIB or ILE (the parts in the kernel library) and the IFS parts (disp+work, saposcol and others). As far as I know, there is no general statement, but there may be individual dependencies.

Because of the large amount of possible combinations (kernel release, start patch level(s), target patch level(s)), it is impossible to test all combinations at SAP. You can only try on your own test system to be sure.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can't find the note or where this came from but we use this as our guidline:

1. always apply the latest patch of APYR3FIX first

2. if applying the DW patch you must apply the LIB_DBSL patch also

3. when updating the IGS, refer to note 937000

Not much help but just wanted share what we have in our documentation.

Answers (0)