Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI only black after Upgrade

DG
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I upgraded from 7.10 to 7.2. After the upgrade I only get a black sceen where the SAP GUI should be. I can only see some text and when I'm in a text box I just see a red squere representing the input area.

I have tried to uninstall the gui and install it again. But it did not work.

Is there any things that I need to reset?

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My 2 cents...

I have actually seen this on a Windows 7 machine running 7.10 sp16 and 7.20. My initial thoughts were that it was a resource issue not displaying the graphics but the machines I have encountered this on were far from low end. I actually changed the theme from the SAP signature design to Enjoy and the black screen/icons, etc went away. It came back when we reverted to the signature design. My logs look in order and nothing glaring at me that there was an issue. Luckily those affected prefer the previous look over the Signature Design. I have heard of no other issues from those machines with SAP GUI since then. (about a month or more now) I am holding out that perhaps something in the next patch for 7.20 may "fix" this which I intend to check just out of curiousity.

Good luck!

Regards,

Zecher

DG
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael Z,

That could probably be something with the theme. I had installed the GUI tweek from 7.10.

In my error log I get the following message..

(Error)(06.07.10 15:35:20.716): CParser::Parse_From_String_Int: Could not initialize XML DOM!

(Error)(06.07.10 15:35:20.730): CParser::Parse_From_File_Int: Could not initialize XML DOM!

Is there a way to change the theme.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can do it through the Tweak SAP GUI and there is also one in the Control Panel. We changed it under the SAP Configuration Icon within the Control panel. Once open there is an option to change the theme. (Drop down listing) Make sure the SAP GUI is closed (saplogon.exe) before doing so or the change will not take affect until it is closed and then re-opened.

I will have to look closer at the machines we had the issue on and see if the same errors or similar are listed.

Regards,

Zecher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Di you solve your problem because I get the same ?

DG
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes. I solved it by changing the profile to somethign else in the configuration of SAP Gui from the windows control panel.

Also a full reinstall of SAP Gui also helped.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are having this issue when deploying a clean install of SAP GUI 7.4 on win7 64bit.

If we upgrade from 7.3 then we don't have the issue, only on a clean install and only on 64bit.

Update: If we deploy via sccm and end user is admin then it works on 64bit, if user is not admin then sap shows black.

On 32bit it deploys fine with non admin end user.

Workaround: Install 7.3 and upgrade or deploy while end user is admin.

I would prefer a better fix though,

thanks,

Bryan

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Bryan,

This is probably a dependency error.

The 64bit OS still needs the 32bit dependencies since SAPgui is a 32bit application.

Please ensure you have VS2010 and VS2012 redistributable files installed (32 and 64bit)

Regards

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jude,

That could figure as I see its only some themes that wont display.

Classic and Highcont seem to work but Corbu and Enjoy don't.

Will test and let you know,

Regards,

Bryan

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

No problem Bryan,

Technically, .NET is not part of the requirements,but I think it's already installed at OS level.

the MSXML6.0 is known to also solve these "black screen" issues,so no harm to have this as the next step.

Regards.

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

I am having the same problems everyone else is reporting on this thread.

Since this is my first time installing or attempting to use the SAP GUI, I am not sure how to install the 32 bit VS2010 and VS2012 redistributable files ...

Can you please point me in the right direction?

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, so I assume the 64 bit files were installed by default.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jean-Pierre,

Not necessarily so. You need to check in "programs" to see what files are already installed.

The 32bit versions can be downloaded from the Microsoft site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=30679

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=5555

the x86 versions are the 32bit,and the x64 versions are the 64bit.

Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

Many thanks for the response. I will give this a try and let you know the results.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

Upon further review of the links I need additional help.

The document found under the first link is entitled:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

The document found under the second link is entitled:

Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 (Presumably x64)

Can you please confirm that it sounds logical to only install the files under the first link? (x86)

Thank you.

Jean-Pierre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

In the end, I fail to see the wisdom of loading 32 bit files on a 64 bit machine...

Perhaps I should just give up on SAP GUI 7.2 and install a later version which might be a 64 bit app?

Thank you.

Regards,

Jean-PIerre

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jean-Pierre.

Since SAPgui is a 32bit application, these files are needed for SAPgui to work properly.

Regarding versions, only SAPgui for Windows 7.40 is supported, so please remove 7.20 gui and ensure you are only using 7.40 gui.

Thank you.

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

At this point, I have uninstalled SAP GUI 7.2, and what I want is the easiest and quickest way to install a working version of SAP GUI on my 64 bit machine.

This is my first experience with the tool, and I have already wasted over 10 hours trying different things with different versions on different machines... Please help.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jean-Pierre,

In our case the problem was a reg key that was setting which theme to use, we removed the set theme bits from the regkey and then it worked on 64.

Test if its a theme by opening SAP GUI Configuration and guessing your way to change it to Classic theme and see if it displays correctly.

Choose theme, click apply, click ok, restart SAP GUI

Hope that helps.

Bryan

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jean-Pierre,

I would really recommend reading Matt's post on getting started with SAPgui installations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jude,

I hope I will not sound arrogant, but this is just a client install, something a regular user should be able to do. I actually did read instal instructions, and none refference this issue. So, I am just doing the best that I can. At this point, it is clear that it is a theme issue. Since I have not been able to open the SAP Configuration utility (it displays the same problem) I am going to try deleting the Registry Key.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Brian,

Thank you for the pointer.

At this time, I cannot access the SAP Configuration utility because when I open it, it displays exactly the same behaviour as SAP GUI... In other words, black screen.

The hack is therefore worth the try. I will blow away the bit values for the theme key in the registry.

Thank you and regards.

Jean-Pierre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I figured it would be black but the functions still work.

If you have not won then use my screenshot as a guide to guess which options to choose

0 Kudos

Dear Jean-Pierre,

If I understood you correctly if you use Classic and High-Contrast Theme, the issue does NOT occur, correct?

Does the issue happen on all PCs or only on specific ones?

What happens if you deactivate the Windows "aero" design?

Have you performed a SAP GUI Installation Check on 1 affected PC?

# If YES:

- Did the check revealed any errors?

Best regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marc,

No, you did not understand correctly.

So far, I have been unable to change the theme in any of the computers I have install SAP GUI 7.2

The issue is different on the two machines I have tried it on...

I am going to focus on only one machine, The Windows 7, 64 bit machine, install SAP GUI 7.2, and if I am unable to:

A) Open the SAP GUI Configuration and GUESS my way to change the them to  Classic theme

B) I will blow away the bit values for the theme key in the registry

And then I will let you all know.

Thank you for your help.

Jean-Pierre

P.S. Give me a few days. This topic is on my priority list but it is not my highest priority. Thank you

former_member194094
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jean-Pierre,

Neither of SAP GUI 7.20 or 7.40 are 64-bit applications. Both are 32-bit. For that reason, you will find the GUI themes in the WOW6432Node branch of the registry machine key.

I am not sure which registry you are planning to delete on your client. I would be careful doing so without proper guidance. (checking the SAP GUI administration guide) as you could worsen the situation you are in now. If this is a local installation, you should change the GUI theme dynamically via the GUI options- you should install 7.40 as 7.20 is out of maintenance for some time now. Try t clean install using the latest compilation CD3.

Kind regards,

Eric Van de Catsije

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok. Will do. Thank you Bryan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Bryan, like the Pinball Wizzard, I navigated almost by smell ! LOL. but, I was able to set the theme to "classic", and yep, it worked. I had other issues related to an incomplete instal but, hey, I could actually see what I was doing! Thanks for the screen shot and the remote guidance!  Jean-Pierre

former_member194094
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jean-Pierre,

Are you sure your PC is up to speed and your graphics updated ?

Eric

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

My laptop is not exactly state of the art, but it is a 64 bit machine with 4 cores and 4 GB of RAM.

It it an HP Folio 13.

I run applications that are much more sofisticated than SAP GUI 7.2....

Anything in particular you might be thinking of?

Thank you.

Jean-Pierre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bryan,

Here is where I am stuck at now. I enclose screen shot.

I got this far in an internet joint and at this point, the next button was highlighted and I moved on and successfully connected to the system.

However, on my machine, I don´t seem to be able to move on...

Any suggestions?

Thank you and regards,

Jean-Pierre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bryan,

I am in! Your screen shot and tips worked. In the end, I was stuck with incorrect access credentials.

Here is a screenshot of my connection.

Thank you.

Jean-Pierre

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jean-Pierre,

As we stated, you are using an unsupported version of SAPgui.

If the issue still occurs after performing a clean reinstallation of SAPgui, then open a support ticket.

However, we do not support 7.20 any longer.

1 - From page 45 of the frontend installation guide.

Start -> Control panel -> Add/remove.

2 - After this, please make sure that the folder

C:\Program files\SAP\FrontEnd is properly removed. Otherwise delete

it manually.

3 - Re-install the 740 with patch 9

Please let me know if this issue arises after the above procedure.

Regards

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I got the same problem recently as I installed SAP 7.4 on our company's PC's from 7.1,

I and my supervisor tried everything like:

1. uninstalled SAP GUI 7.4 patch (restart)

2. a. installed the lower version of SAP (7.1) (restart)

b. installed 7.2 (restart)

c. installed 7.3 (restart)

d. installed 7.4 (restart)

3. I also checked the control panel and clicked the SAP configuration but it is also black. I cant do anything, I tried reporting it to HAS already but it seems they cant really solve the problem.

thanks for anyone who can help me. .

Former Member
0 Kudos

I face the same problem. System is Windows XP and Display is Intel G965 Chipset. Driver has been updated.

I tried:

- install msxml.msi sp3

- install lower version 7.1

- open the program with every combination of compatibility setting

- change the profile configuration with SAP configuration in control panel

But the black screen still exist, please help!

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Windows XP is not supported in any shape or form and will not run 7.40 gui.

You are putting your company at serious risk by continuing to run Windows XP on it.

Upgrade to a supported OS as soon as possible.

Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel

which OS do you use on the Frontend?

Did you recieved any error messages in the nwsapsetup*.log files?

Please analyse the log files from the nwsapsetup for the first.

there you can see an error wich is marked as "2E" .

Please tell me the error messages, OR this is the better way, open a message in

the OSS in BC-FES-INS and attach then there all the log files.

Best regards, Sven

DG
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm running Windows 7.

I'm unable to see the log files that was created in the install.

Former Member
0 Kudos

becuase the files are not present or you dont know where the files are stored?

A log file is written everytime you start the nwsapsetup.exe

It stored in the LOGS folder on your frontend in

c:program filessapsapsetup

There you find the LOGS folder.

Also it can be that the log file is stored in the %TEMP% folder....

best regárds,

Sven