cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO SNC logons vs manual logons - sm20 or elsewhere?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

There are users who log on to a SAP GUI manually, some users are logged on automatically via SNC logon.

I need to collect a simple statistics, counting SSO (SNC) logons and manual logons.

But in SM20 transaction there seem to be no difference, logons of any type look the same.

How can I see whether a particular user has logged on using SSO/SNC logon or manually - and collect such events?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

blanca_serrano
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Sergei,

No, it is not necessary to disable password logon to activate the trace, you can do it just following note

The authentication method is noted in the trace, as soon as the trace level for security is set to value "2" or higher.

I hope this also helps you.

Regards,

Blanca

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Blanca,

Well, I tried - it shows the info, a bit cumbersome, but it looks manageable to collect trace logs of all dialog processes for a while, then filter them as needed. Thanks again!

Regards,

Sergei

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

blanca_serrano
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello S.Kostarev ,

As far as I know there is no recording of statistical data about what kind of authentication users actually use.

But there is a "hard" way to find out: disable the password based login via profile parameters, and you will quickly get an idea ...

The profile parameter used for this is "login/disable_password_logon".

The authentication method is noted in the trace, as soon as the trace level for security is set to value "2" or higher (see note 495911 "Trace analysis for logon problems" also), but gathering statistical records from the developer trace is not implemented, and I cannot recommend this for general use. But if you really need to get this kind of information, this might be a way.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Blanca

Former Member
0 Kudos

Goto SM04 -> select the user -> Menue: User -> Technical Info

If you have a line snc_count = 0 then no SNC is used, if it is 1 then the logon was with SNC.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Blanca. The "hard" way is not an option, since the most of the users are likely to use password login, and only a few of them (if any) - SNC logon. I'm going to try tracing as per note 495911 if it's the only way and see if I can dig something out of it.

No, wait... do you mean that in order to get it traced, I actually have to disable password logon, and tracing will not work otherwise, because only errors are traced? It's not an option for me, then.

Regards,

Sergei Kostarev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow. Thanks Michael! This is more like what I needed - simply knowing SNC logon or non-SNC logon.

Now if there was a way to collect this info for every user who logs in, I would be so happy...

Regards,

Sergei Kostarev