cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PI 7.0 installation (Dual Stack) on 64 bit Oracle DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have a basic question here. Can i install SAP PI 7.0 on an 64 bit Oracle DB? OS is windows 2003 R2 64 bit. i tried but i get an error message when running SAP Inst. It says "Oracle not installed. Install Oracle first".

Regards,

Jyotish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It says "Oracle not installed. Install Oracle first".

Unlike unix based installation, in Windows you need to install Oracle first and then SAP...

1) Go to Oracle installation DVD ==> find "sapserver.cmd" batch file under NT64 or similar directory and execute it..

2) Enter destination Drive (eg. E:) and SID and complete Oracle installation.

3) Install Oracle Patchset (stop all Oracle services before patch installation)

Then you can start SAP installation.

Again, I would also recommend go through installation guide in which these all process is already described in details.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions. Actually my problem is bit different. PI 7.0 is a 32 bit software (Unlike PI 7.1 which is 64 bit). Now under normal circumstances i can install PI 7.0 in a 32 bit oracle. Here i want to install the software in a 64 bit oracle (I am doing thisn in test machine so i can do whatever hacking is required). Can i do this out of line installation?

Thanks.

Jyotish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You just need to install 32bit Oracle version from the RDBMS installation DVD (sapserver.cmd from i386 folder).

Installation of 64bit oracle on 32bit OS or Hardware will not work.

Rest is same process...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Again let me clarify ,here when you install 64 bit (10g) oracle and then try to install PI 7.0 (32 bit) SAPINST throws the error message "Oracle not installed:Install Oracle". If you use the 32 bit oracle (10g), SAPINST does not throw this error message and installation can be completed.

My Hardware is 64 bit only with 64 bit Windows 2003 Server. I am able to install PI 7.0 with 32 bit oracle on this machine

Thanks,

Jyotish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I am not wrong...

1. You have already install 64bit Oracle

2. Then you are trying to install PI7.0 (32bit).

and you got this error " Oracle not installed..."

Correct ?

Just to know, have you set ORACLE_HOME, JAVA_HOME and included the PATH %ORACLE_HOME%\bin and %JAVA_HOME\bin path in your PATH variables ?

(Add it as SYSTEM Variables... You need to log off and log in again once done...)

Then check

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

System variables are set however the variables are not set in the Path. Let me try out. I will come back.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Jyotish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Though you set the varaibles in path, as per my knowledge logically speaking this will not work. Because, for installing SAP in windows first you need to install oracle which is like a pre-requisite and after that should start SAP. Here your oracle version is 64-bit and SAP is 32-bit which is not able to read or identify oracle. Might be reverse case should work like SAP 64-bit and oracle 32-bit.

What is the reason behind you need to do this kind of testing? When you have hardware, operating system and oracle in 64-bit why only SAP in 32-bit? You can also check the product compatibility at https://service.sap.com/pam

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Okay Here is my full scenario

I am testing PI upgrade from PI 7.0 (32 bit) to PI 7.1 (64 bit). Now here is the current and proposed configuration

PI 7.0, 32 bit Oracle, 32 Windows 2003 server ---> PI 7.1, 64 bit Oracle, 64 bit windows 2003 server

I have taken full offline DB backup and created all the necessary files like the control.sql etc i.e Homogenoues system copy using backup/restore. In SAPINST you have two options- standard copy procesure will create migration export (using tools like R3load etc) and then you can reinstall system. 2nd option is to do homogenous system copy.

Now in my scenario, after completing the homogenous system copy for source system, now i have to restore the target system in 64 bit OS. so i am thinking whether i should use 32 bit oracle or 64 bit oracle so that when i use upgrade procedure there should be no problem as PI 7.1 needs 64 bit oracle.

so PI7.0 in 32 bit Oracle then PI 7.0 in 64 bit oracle then upgrade to PI 7.1 in 64 bit oracle.

As mentioned i will try to set the path variables first. I will come back soon.

Thanks,

Jyotish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If this is the scenario, Go for Homogeneous System Copy with (R3load method).

I have done it similar before (for ECC 6)...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well i already tried the Homogenrous system copy (R3Load) method but same error is thrown. So i am trying out the Homogenous system copy (Backup/Restore) method. But i again get the same error message."Oracle Not insalled:Install oracle first".

Regards,

Jyotish

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You certainly are doing something wrong....

During the installation of the targer system (R3load method) Oracle is installed, if your target system is 64bit then install 64bit... you shouldn't have any issues.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI all,

Thank you all for your support, i was making a small mistake here. I upgraded the Oracle 10.2.0.1 (32 bit) in PI 7.0 to 10.2.0.2 after installation of the SAP system. I was assuming that i can upgrade the 10.2.0.1 (64 bit) to 10.2.0.2 only after the installation. This was the mistake. Once i upgraded the RDBMS and used the latest version of SAPINST, the installation of 32 bit PI 7.0 in Oracle 64 bit was a sucess.

Thanks,

Jyotish

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think it is not possible to install your SAP PI 7.0 of 32 bit on 64 bit Oracle. SAP always prefers the prerequisites ( OS/SAP/Hardward) should be unique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1st of all you must read the installation guide thoroughly. You must chose the central system installation depending on version of installation dvd's. once you have entered all the info and begin installation, if you read the installation guide you should have no problems,

https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/instguides

hope it helps