cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving data in non-modifiable system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Our system is going to enter into read only phase. All users will work in a new system, and the old one will only show data.

My goal is to restore disk space on server by archiving some data.

Do you have experience with this type of work?

I've found that there are two possible ways to turn system into non-modifiable state:

1. Turn on Read only mode in data base - I think in this case archiving is not possible, because system updates some flags in tables

2. Read only mode based on users roles - In this case, all roles are changed, and users don't have rights to create or change any data. I think this could work if my user has special role.

3. ?? any other idea

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The option 2 is the right way to go. Provide only display access to all the users. Option 1 will cause many dump issues, since you are forcing a transaction to not to act in the database level.

Regards,

Sanujit

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My goal is to restore disk space on server by archiving some data.

To be honest with you archiving is a complex process and I don't think is worthy if you are going to turn this into a legacy system. Archiving is mainly done to improve performance rather than saving space.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

> To be honest with you archiving is a complex process and I don't think is worthy if you are going to turn this into a legacy system. Archiving is mainly done to improve performance rather than saving space.

Yes, archiving process is complex, but in my case it is worth to do it.

The system is IS-U. In the instance which will be changed to read-only mode we focused only on billing document lines so the archiving is quite simple. The table with billing lines is DBERCHZ1 and it has now more than 1200GB. Someone decided to clean up the old system when the new one will start and the archive is one of the steps.

I know that archiving process only moves data to archive system without changing of table size. At the end table should be reorganised.