Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error during installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005

sbmrafikul2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

During installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 I have got the below error message

"There was an unexpected failure during the setup wizard"

From this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916760 i came to know that this error occurs just because I used SQL Server 2005 installations from a folder on a network share.

After that i unstall everything & copy the installations in a local drive. But again when we restart the activity we got the same error message & the installation completed.

Any hint why this happens..

Thank You.

Kind Regards,

Jituda

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you use the script by SAP (sql4sap.vbs) to install the database?

What's in your event log?

Markus

sbmrafikul2
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

No, I am not using any script to install the SQL 2005 enterprise edition.

Instead of script I run the setup.exe from the services folder. For your information this is for 64bit that means to say I used the X64 folder.

Again in the event viewer i got the below error message during this activity

"Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, faulting module netapi32.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x000000000001e626"

Thank You.

Kind regards,

Jituda

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you read the installation guides you'll see that one should use the sql4sap.vbs script to install the database. This will do a few tasks that you'd need to do manually if you don't use that script (e. g. correct collation etc.). It will also install the least service pack that is needed to install a system properly.

Your system seems to have a problem with the host service. Is this a new installed system? Any virus scanner active?

Markus

qingqingwang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jituda,

In mentioned kb916760, it says the problem occurs because the folders that contain the files that are required

during the installation of SQL Server 2005 do not have a correct layout. It may occur if you start the SQL Server 2005 installation from a folder on a hard disk and the folder was copied from the SQL Server 2005 installation CDs.

You may try if this helps.

-

copy the CD's data to Folder in C:\Programe files\Microsoft SQL server\MSSQL and then Run the Setup.exec file

from C:\.

-

If not, may need to look into the error details in the setup logs.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files

Kind regards,

Qingqing Wang

sbmrafikul2
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

Yes the system is new. Recently we migrate the OS to 64bit from 32 bit.

Actually i am installing the sql for microsoft cluster systems. Let me know what i have to check in the Host service.

Thank You.

Kind Regards,

Jituda

sbmrafikul2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Mr Wang.

But no luck, I copied the files in the c drive & run the executable & giving me the same message.

When I checked the log files i got the below message

Article: ASP.Net Registration Requirement, Result: Warning

Description: Required version of ASP.NET not Registered Action: Microsoft Reporting Services 2005(32-bit) requires 32-bit ASP.Net registered. Microsoft Reporting Services 2005(64-bit) requires 64-bit ASP.Net registered. Install the required version of ASP.Net.

Article: Minimum MDAC Version Requirement, Result: CheckPassed

<Func Name='PerformDetections'>

Loaded DLL:C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\sqlsval.dll Version:2005.90.1399.0

Error: Action "InvokeSqlSetupDllAction" threw an exception during execution. Error information reported during run:

Source File Name: datastore\cachedpropertycollection.cpp

I am very surprised to see the warning message because i choose the X64 executable, & now its showing 32bit ASP.Net.

Any hint

Kind Regards

Jituda

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That machine seems to have a serious issue.

Parts of the executables are 32bit assemblies, hence the 32bit .NET frameworks is necessary.

It's very difficult to help you without system access so I'd open an OSS call (BC-OP-NT) and let the support have a look on the system.

Markus

sbmrafikul2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus,

Actually our IT dept did this OS migration from 32 bit to 64bit. And from sysytem status I can able to check that the system is Microsoft windows server 2005 r2 ,enterprise edition x64 ,service pack 2. When they finished the work now I am going to perform the SAP migration by system copy. Actually this is the DR server. Also I have run Start -> Run and type dxdiag, it also indicate the system is in 64bit

It will be much appriciatable if you please tell me how to check that the system has 32 bit assembelies. So that i Can give some proof to the IT dept that the OS migration was not done properly.

Thank You.

Kind Regards,

Jituda

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's very difficult to suggest something since we (and you) don't know how that "migration" was done and what was installed in what sequence etc.

If svchost or one of its applications such as netapi fails with an error (as you posted what you saw in the event log) then parts of the operating system don't work properly and you may run into problems later.

So I'd suggest giving your IT department those error messages and let them find a solution because they are the only ones who knew what they did before.

Markus

qingqingwang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jituda,

I think we need to focus on the error in the setup log first.

-

Error: Action "InvokeSqlSetupDllAction" threw an exception during execution. Error information reported during run:

Source File Name: datastore\cachedpropertycollection.cpp

-

you might be able to see more detailed error information in the log.

You may check if the following links help:

http://www.sqlserverfaq.net/2008/12/17/sql-server-2005-setup-failing-to-install-on-cluster-with-unex...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/f998b073-4378-4d02-95ac-c9af...

In addition, to clarify, the SQL4SAP.VBS script does not support Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS). If you want to run the

script in an MSCS configuration, you get an error message. In MSCS configuration need to install the SQL Server database software manually instead of using the script. Please see the corresponding SAP product installation guide under http://service.sap.com/instguides

Kind regards,

Qingqing Wang

sbmrafikul2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am able to resolve the issue by doing the below steps

-> Uninstalling all the SQL setup from the system from -> deleting the MS SQL server folder from c drive

-> Checking all the prerequisite from the SAP Note 1257296

-> Move the SQL group to database node

-> Restart both node

-> Now the Wizard works fine

But at the time of installation there is a step where I have to put the Virtual Server name & its IP. Could you please tell me from where I have to collect this virtual IP. Should this virtual IP is created by IT dept?

Kind Regards,

Jituda

qingqingwang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jituda,

You normally obtain the host names and IP addresses from the system administrator.

Please check the corresponding SAP product's installation guide at http://service.sap.com/instguides

chapter 7.2.5 - Obtaining and Determining IP Addresses for MSCS

Best regards,

Qingqing Wang

Answers (0)