cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my preview button gone?

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lost - missing in action after last forum reboot (why do these always happen on Monday afternoons in Australia? Do we not count?

The preview functionality to check if I'm making an arse more of an fool than usual of myself before I post.

Where has it gone?

Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187989
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bold,italics,underline,code block,line,spell check,quote is also not working.

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It'll be fixed tomorrow morning CET, just received confirmation of that a few minutes ago.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update Martin,

sigh looks like I'll be without SCN for an hour or so this afternoon then!

Will mark thread resolved if after the update i can see the issues fixed.

Cheers,

Chris

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Actually - believe it or not :-). - it's supposed to be fixed without a downtime around 9AM CET.

So I was told

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No downtime?! I shall believe when I see it! - but will be impressed if it is the case!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This forum is really a blessing considering the bugs interesting features we encounter quite often here in the forums. The missing preview tab made me nervous when I first encountered it, but I thought of course it's just me and my browser...

Out of curiosity I quickly inspected the source code of a reply-page, but didn't get very far: There's a div with id editor-tabs, which is now hidden. When I change it (via CSS) to display:inline I get three tabs, one of them the missing preview tab. Unfortunately the preview-tab invokes the Javascript function setEditorMode('preview'), which is not defined.

After short time I must admit I was too tired to keep looking into the ugly lengthy source code to check if I could somehow sneak the preview functionality back in (on my system). Anyhow, I strongly suggest a very simple enhancement for SAP: Just add a nice big heading to the forum sites saying beta - we'd still be frustrated, but at least our expectations would match the user experience.

I apologize for violating the forum rules (clearly not a professional posting), but I had to vent a little.

Cheers, harald

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

While our technical team is still investigating how this happened, I just wanted to give you a brief update, that they let us know, that they found the issue and are working hard to correct it asap.

Doesn't explain all of the above, but I still wanted to let you know, that hopefully shortly we'll get the preview button and formatting etc. back.

former_member46
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Chris we did have a monthly release this morning and you are right they occur on Monday Morning CET

I will update and hope it returns quickly.

Best, Gali

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, it obviously didn't fix the replies count in the forum overview. My dashboard is now on the left, so I keep clicking in Nirvana when I want to get to the control panel. Anything else that has been "verschlimmbessert"?

Thomas

P.S. yes, quoted text now appears right aligned...

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>P.S. yes, quoted text now appears right aligned...

Not just quoted text. I can see a few thread completely right aligned in Coffee Corner.

While some thread appears normal others are affected by this right aligned behaviour.

Regards

Jai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there an SDN forum quality system at SAP where you test the monthly release ?

Regards,

Olivier

SuhaSaha
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Phew !! I thought it was a m/c specific problem

I would like to add the buttons on the toolbar are disfunctional as well (at least for me !!)

BR,

Suhas

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Indeed - the bold italic underline hyperlink, code and quote buttons on the toolbar above my message are now just space stealing icons - offering no functionality - I have to manually add the markup!

Perhaps because I'm using a Chrome browser? (thank goodness I am - because the spell check functionality doesn't work either! at least I can use the built in spell checker in Chrome).

@Olivier - if they do then it is time to have a sit down session with the test team and point out that their department is not delivering!

I'm waiting for another few hours downtime later today when these changes are rolled back...

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, it obviously didn't fix the replies count in the forum overview.

Ahem... you'll have to wait (at least) untill next month for the next monthly update.

My dashboard is now on the left, so I keep clicking in Nirvana when I want to get to the control panel.

Something tells me, that the big bad banner is going to be back... in the new space created on the right side!

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

>if they do then it is time to have a sit down session with the test team and point out that their department is not delivering!

And if they don't test that is not much better... I don't understand how a showcase system like these forums is managed like this...

Olivier

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>Something tells me, that the big bad banner is going to be back... in the new space created on the right side!

I thought I was being overly cynical when I had exactly the same thought.

Fortunately, I have yet to see any overly large ads - because if forum functionality had been screwed impacted due to a desire to increase advertising, I think there would have been even more of outcry.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes! the preview is back!

And the toolbars work again!

Thank you!

Chris

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right the toolbar is back, but spell check does not work.

It seems that any fix provides a new bug.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So good news ! We did not have to wait for the next month release one more time.

Olivier

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

And with no downtime!

Apologize for the spell check though, not sure what went wrong there, but I reported the issue now and hopefully it can be fixed shortly as well. Will keep you in the loop.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

>

> Not just quoted text. I can see a few thread completely right aligned in Coffee Corner.

> While some thread appears normal others are affected by this right aligned behaviour.

>

> Regards

> Jai

>

I discovered a workaround for this problem --> you must use "quote" tags and add an empty "DUMMY" line at the top. Then the rest below aligns to the right left again.

Note that this temporary workaround is not downwardly compatible after the alignment has been fixed and I do not support any Z-programs to delete the DUMMY entry after you upgrade..

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Thomas Zloch on Jul 15, 2010 5:40 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Thomas

Thanks for the correction to left. We all make little mistakes

I worked with a secretary executive assistant once who formatted the entire project documentation using the space bar to format it in the MS Word preview, and then we bought a new colour printer for him...

Anyway, this is a minor evil. Imagine a world for controllers without the ALPHA routine?

SAP rocks

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

The fix I'm using for the annoying right-justified quotes is to correct the broken CSS (e.g. left-justifying quotes recently and also forcing a horizontal scroll-bar for overlong quote/code sections). I initially did this with the [Stylish|https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108/] addon for [Firefox|http://www.mozilla.com/], until I started experimenting with additional changes via Javascript (described in - Warning, promoting own posting in the following link, so just ignore it if you don't like ads - [Minor tweaks for my SDN forum experience|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/20005] [original link is broken];).

Anyhow, just in case anybody's interested, here's the CSS fix that could be used with Stylish for left-justifying quotes:

.jive-quote {
  text-align : left !important;
}

Doesn't require any changes to the posted message and can be easily removed without any trace once no longer required. Not to mention the fact that once you start experimenting you'll discover that you can actually improve lots of pages according to your own taste by simple manipulation of the CSS (and non-technical consumers can head over to <a href="http://userstyles.org" target="_blank">userstyles.org</a> for tweaks published by others, though as far as I remember there's nothing for SDN).

Power to the community!

Cheers, harald

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Harald!

Nice to see those quotes back in the right left place and my first delve into user stylesheets using the [Chrome Stylish|https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe]

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP would do itself some good, handing-over SCN-Jive to you

pk

ps: ...with all due respect to the current bunch of SCN-Jive members, in case if that sounded rude. It's not what I meant.

Edited by: kishan P on Jul 16, 2010 10:18 AM

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

By the way, no revolutionary news, but the quote alignment issue will be fixed with the next release (which is coming in beginning of August).