cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPM: Scheduling Loads / Validating or Releasing several files concurrently

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm looking for best practices on validating/loading files concurrently.

Issue I'm running in is that, when releasing several invoice files at the same time (from data loading/validation stage starting the release to reporting process), the process chains get locked and result in error.

If only one file at the time can be released, then it also doesn't make much sense to validate a lot of files at the same time. when several files are validated in the data loading/validation stage, they will automatically be released at the next time the release process is started... and create the above mentioned process chain locks.

Current practice is loading files one by one, but looking for a better practice!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

When loading multiple files into the inbound layer a single job is created in BW ABAP and they are all uploaded using individual upload ID, you can also load these files one at a time which also loads them using individual upload ID's. You can think of upload ID as requests in BW. When you release this to reporting a BW process chain is called (if you are releasing multiple upload types then that may process chains will be called) for example if you release Invoice, PO and Contracts each process chain will be called.

From here on the standard BW setting for batch processing or background job are used.

If you are running into locks (like you mention) I feel your BW system is running low on resources, please use the following transaction to tweak and change the BW parameters. Also please work with your BW administrator to identify the number or resources you can use for data loads.

RSODSO_SETTINGS = Runtime parameters for DSO (activation, SID generation, rollback)

RSBATCH = Batch job parameters maintenance

So the recommendation is if your system can handle multiple jobs and multiple process chains you can upload and release multiple uploads simultaneous. So there is no one answer for this, it depends on how many resources are available in the system.

Regards,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rohit. It is true that we have run into this over a year ago in a development environment and taken the habit of individual loads since. We'll test your recommendation at our next load cycle and let you know the outcome.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Mostly we will get the doubts on the below scenario for Invoices.

1.You have loaded the Cleared Invoices (IVBSAK) and Unclear Invoices (BIBS) data. u2026u2026.

2. Selected the option u201CAllow manual passu201D for BIBS and Released it , but both are objects status showing as released. (from data loading/validation stage starting the release to reporting process).

3. Both Invoice are using the same process chain. So process chain runs once but it collects the record from all the objects (Clear and Unclear Invoice) which are not yet released (with comparison of Upload id from BI system).

Hi Rohith,

Thanks for the more info. Please correct me If I am wrong in the above scenario.

Regards

Srinivasarao.Namburi.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

There is no limit for loading files concurrently to the same SPM object. Even when different file names are present for the same object (in your case, Invoices), only 1 scheduling of the process chain is done. This means it should work just the same as when you are loading each file individually. The only thing that really changes is the data volume that is loaded...

What is the error message you are getting? In which step of the process chain?

Best regards!

Ricardo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo, don't recall as we've abandoned the practice to release several files at the same time to reporting a long time ago. I'll see if we can test and get back to you.

As we're migrating to 2.1 and give that priority, we may test this in the 2.1 version only.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ricardo,

I work with Jan De Kezel at Hubwoo.

The following is reproduced from the Problem Analysis Guide

Locks in the backend system

Unnecessary locks in the backend can also cause some undesired effect when the system is looking to allocate resources to execute a query. Always ensure that no locks exist in the backend system before loading. Transaction RS12.

From our experience, when we try to load 2 invoice files at the same time, we get a lock created. This lock results in the process chain to error out. We go to SM12 or RS12, delete the locks and then continue.

Thanks,

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

can u pls expand light on ur issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried to expand.

How close are you to the SAP BO SPM solution?

Which part of the question do you need to be better detailed?