cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager Diagnostics don't display data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm setting up Solution Manager Diagnostics at Solution Manager SP 22. I've installed Wily Introscope Enterpise Manager at Solution Manager Server, and Wily Introscope Agents at Solution Manager and Satellite systems as well.

Wily Introscope is working properly, I receive statistics from all agents, and also I can see most of the graphics. BUT, after I install SMD Agent, I can't receive any data in Root Cause Analysis Workcenter -> End-To-End Analysis -> system -> Workload Analysis.

Here I can see a plot with all values at 0. If I try Enterprise Portal tab -> Portal Activity Reporting, I don't have any data.

At Aplication Server Java tab -> J2EE Engine, I only can see forms like:

E2E CV PPMS ID Variable

E2E Installation Number Variable

E2E SID Variable <SID> <SID>

E2E Metric Type Variable(multiple values)

SERVLETS

WEB DYNPRO APPLICATI ONS

JCO CALLS

SQL STATEMENTS

InfoProvider

0SMD_PE2H

0SMD_PERH

But if I execute or check this form, I receive this message:

Value "SERVLETS" for variable "E2E Metric Type Variable(multiple values)" is invalid.

I've also followed SAPNote 1435043 - E2E Workload Analysis - No applicable data found, and checked prerequisites, RFC's, Jobs, Extractors and executed SOLMAN_SETUP transaction.

I've followed all guides I've found for Diagnostics, but I don't know how can I solve this.

Please, could you help me?

Thanks in advance and regards.

Tomas.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

My issue was solved by re-checking the systems in SMSY.

It had a few mistakes in the definition. Can you check from the start in SMSY.

Also are the extractors running , can you see when was the last extractor run successful in the logs.Also pls check if any extractors are banned for the system.If they are you have to delete them , not de-activate, and re-run the managed system setup.

What is the SMD Agent application log output just after you run the workload analysis ?

Regards,

Kaustubh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaustubh,

Could you please give me some information regarding the configurations that are be done at the portal and the SolMan in order to get the portal activity data in SolMan?

Regards,

Divya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

There could be multiple reason for the missing workload data , would suggest you to open a OSS support Message

to SAP for investigation.. Under the component SV-SMG-DIA-APP-WA.

Best Regards

Jai wardhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your response, I already followed the same procedure you described to configure portal activity reporting, issue is under portal activity reporting in SMD I don't get data, I get " No applicable data found", I get the data for all other tabs..I reviewed the system according to oss note 1435043 but issue remains.

Thanks

Ranadheer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this for Portal Activity Reporty? have you followed PADC_Activation_Guide.pdf

Step-by-Step Procedure

This step by step procedure consists of two parts:

1. The first part describes the configuration and the activation of the Activity Data Collector in Enterprise Portal.

2. The second part describes the activation of the Portal Activity Reporting extractors in Solution Manager.

Possible performance impact

The activation of the Activity Data Collector (ADC) might have a performance impact on the

Enterprise Portal. Before activating ADC in the productive Enterprise Portal it has to be tested

in the QA environment.

4.1 Activity Data Collector Configuration and Activation

The Activity Data Collector (ADC) has a preset of configuration properties and is by default deactivated. For the usage

of ADC with the Solution Manager the configuration needs to be adapted and ADC needs to be activated.

1. Logon to the Portal with your administrator user (you need access to System Administration)

2. Navigate to System Administration 􀃆 System Configuration 􀃆 Service Configuration 􀃆 Applications 􀃆

com.sap.portal.activitydatacollector 􀃆 Services 􀃆 DataCollectionHook

3. Open the DataCollectionHook for configuration

4. Change the properties as described below:

u201CActivate Data Collectionu201D

Defines if the ADC is active or inactive. Change this property from false (default) to true

u201CAdditional Files Formatsu201D

For the usage of ADC with Solution Manager only the main file format is needed. Delete the preset value of

this property.

u201CBase File Nameu201D

This property defines the first part of the ADC data file name. For the usage of ADC with Solution Manager a

specific base file name is required. Otherwise Solution Manager is not able to fetch and clean-up the ADC data

file. Set this property to:

portalActivity

u201CDirectory Nameu201D

This property defines the directory name in which the ADC data files are written. The path is relative to

<system ID>/<instance ID>/j2ee/cluster/server<server #>

For the usage of ADC with Solution Manager a specific directory name is required. Otherwise Solution

Manager is not able to fetch and clean-up the ADC data file. Set this property to:

portalActivityTraces

End-to-End Diagnostics 8

Activation of Portal Activity Reporting using Activity Data Collector

u00A9SAP AG 2009

u201CFile Encodingu201D

This property defines the file encoding of the ADC data files Set it to:

UTF-8

u201CHour in the day to close all files, in GMTu201D

This property defines the hour in the day when all open ADC data files are closed and ADC starts to write new

files. The value of this property has no impact on the usage of ADC with Solution Manager. You can leave the

default value.

u201CMain File Formatu201D

This property defines the main file format of the ADC data file. For the usage of ADC with Solution Manager a

specific main file format is required. Otherwise Solution Manager is not able to use the ADC data. Set this

property to:

%Orfo.t(d-MM-yyyy kk:mm:ss,UTC)%%Stab%%Orfo.un%%Stab%%Orfo.ut%%Stab%%Orfo.bt%􀃁

%Stab%%Orfo.ct%%Stab%%Orfo.in%%Stab%%Orfo.pu%%Stab%%Orfo.cn%%Stab%%Orfo.sid%%Snl%

Property value format

The symbol u201C􀃁u201D in the property value string above just indicates that a line break was added for

better readability. The string in the u201CMain File Formatu201D property value field must not include line

breaks or this symbol.

u201CMax Buffer Size (KB)u201D

This property defines the amount of data stored in memory before it is written to the ADC data file. The

property value needs to be smaller than the u201CMax File Size (KB)u201D property. It can significantly impact the

performance as it is a tradeoff between writing too often to the file and writing to much data in one step to the

file. Set this property to:

u201CMax File Size (KB)u201D

This property defines the maximum file size of the main file. When this limit is reached all data files are close

and ADC writes to new files. For the usage of ADC with Solution Manager a suitable u201CMax File Sizeu201D property is

important. For every hour at least one ADC data file should to be written. Less than one data file per hour

results in a delayed data fetch of Solution Manager. As a good starting point set this property to:

5. Finally save all changes by pressing the Save button.

End-to-End Diagnostics 9

Activation of Portal Activity Reporting using Activity Data Collector

u00A9SAP AG 2009

6. Next right click on com.sap.portal.activitydatacollector and select Administrate from the context menu.

7. To finally activate the Activity Data Collector the com.sap.portal.activitydatacollector application needs be

restarted. Therefore press the Restart button.

Data file housekeeping

Once the Activity Data Collector (ADC) is activated on all J2EE server nodes of the Enterprise

Portal data files are written. ADC currently does not provide an automatic housekeeping. The

housekeeping is done by the SMD agents when they are triggered by the extractor running on

the Solution Manager. The SMD agents remove by default all ADC data file older than 24

hours.

To minimize the risk of a disk full situation we recommend implementing a customer specific

fallback housekeeping (e.g. clean-up scripts running on all hosts).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

Sorry for not answering your reply before. I've followed your steps, but I still have the same issue.

On the other hand, I've checked E2E Workload Analysis Troubleshooting Guide at service.sap.com/diagnostics media library, and noticed that at my workcenter, I can see all extractors activated, but when I check the jobs which run E2E_EXTRACTOR_CONTROLER ABAP program, I got no results.

I've tried to deactivate and reactivate extractors at my workcenter and tried to setup again the diagnostics system, but I can't see any job scheduled.

Please, can you help me??

Thanks in advance,

Tomas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tomas,

I am experiencing the same issue and wondering if you resolved this issue.

Thanks

Ranadheer

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Thomas,

You have not identified what the satellite system is and what software solution.

So please start with SAP Note 1010428 and ensure that the Satellite system is supported for END-to-END Diagnostics.

Also you would want to check SAP Note 987835 to ensure that you have defined the solution in SMSY corectly.

Please also ensure you have the most recent version of LM-SERVICE patch.

I hope the above will help you solve this problem.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for your reply. My satellite systems are my development and productive Enterprise Portals 7.01 an supports Diagnostics as per note 1010428. My Solution Manager is 7.0 EhP1 with SP22, and has the latest LM-SERVICE patch and satellyte systems are properly defined at SMSY as per document [http://service.sap.com/~sapdownload/011000358700000074392009E/SP18_SolMan_Setup_Guide_V2.pdf]

Any other idea?

jiamin_pan
Participant
0 Kudos

can u check if ur RFC : MDX PARSER in connections TCP/IP works fine ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JIAMIN,

At SAPNote 1435043, I have to check if RFC MDX_PARSER is working fine, and it works.

Any other idea?

Thanks in advance,

Tomás.

jiamin_pan
Participant
0 Kudos

can u check if all the extractors are working correctly plz ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I open Extractor FWK Administration and I can see all extractors activated.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks and regards,

Tomás.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tomas,

I have exactly the same problem, I am on Solman SPS22, LMSERVICE SP06 patch2.

and the satellite system pre-requisites and definition in SMSY are correct, also the MDX PARSER RFC is wrking fine.

any idea on why is the Portal activity reporing is blank, while i get data under all the other tabs.

Also, the agent application .log file shows the below warning

"PadcService@1cbd1cbd: file portalActivity_6057051_1278074505498.txt could not be deleted"

but i could not find the file in the satellite system.

Regards,

kaustubh.

Edited by: Kaustubh Krishna on Jul 12, 2010 11:21 AM