cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naming JCO Destinations

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am retaking over another post opened a few days ago.

We are starting a full GRC AC 5.3 implementation with all four modules to be configured and integrated and we still have a key question regarding JCO destination creation.

When you create a JCO destinations under "WebDynpro Content" section you can either keep the provided name (i.e: VIRSAHR_01_METADATA) or rename it (i.E: OTHER_NAME).

Afterwards, when you proceed to create connectors in CUP, SPM or ERM and you search for System/Connectors/ you will see such name displayed (VIRSAHR_01_METADATA OR OTHER_NAME).

1) Is there any restriction on this? JCO destinations should be renamed or not? Or it does not matter?

2) If we want to integrate all GRC capabilities with just one SAP system, how many JCO destinations do we have to create? One for each capability(4) ? OR just one?

Many thanks in advance. Best regards,

Imanol

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Imanol,

According to SAP documentation (Install guide page 24), there are 3 VIRSAHR_xxxx JCo Connectors for SAP HR systems and 19 VIRSA(XS)R3_xxxx JCo Destinations for SAP R3 systems.

I think the original SAP limitation (max 3 & 19) was because of system performance reasons, but that was +2 years ago...

There seems to be a general concensus to keep the JCo names as-is and not change them, but you could always test otherwise and let us know how it goes.

I usually follow this methodology for choosing between JCo and Adaptive RFC:

1. Configure JCo Destinations upto the maximum number for all the SAP clients that will be connected to RAR.

2. In RAR use the JCo as the connector type. If more connectors are needed, configure them manually in RAR using the Adaptive RFC type.

3. Do not use the JCo in CUP, ERM or SPM. Instead, configure them manually.

4. MAKE SURE THAT ALL CONNECTOR NAMES MATCH FOR ALL AC MODULES. In other words, if you have a RAR JCo connector called "DEV" or "DEV100," then make sure the manual RFC connector in CUP, ERM and SPM is also called "DEV" or DEV100."

This is just my opinion and it work for me. There might be a better way to configure them.

-Dylan

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

It's probably not the "official" way, but I have by now stopped using JCo connectors completely - they only work in RAR, and even there they've proven to be more of a hassle than help. I'm using SAPJCO (i.e. manual configuration) also in RAR.

Another remark for connector naming: if you're going to use CUP for provisioning, and you have a CUA, you must name the connectors exactly like the CUA name of the systems you're going to provision, i.e. something along the lines of "P01CLNT100".

So, even if you're just starting with RAR - if there is any chance you might want to use CUP in the future, do plan ahead and name the connectors after the CUA clients!

Frank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

I couldn't have agreed more with Frank. I also have stopped using JCO's completely. They require more work and are used in RAR only properly. From Integration perspective of GRC applications normal connectors such as SAP JCO prove to be much easier to maintain. While implementing GRC, one certainly have to look ahead and plan for issues like provisioning in CUA systems using CUP where the naming convention needs to be same as the logical system name of the backend in CUA system.

Regards, Varun

maryjane_steele2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I am doing a 5.3 install and would like more info on the manual setup of the SAP JCOs.  Is this documented anywhere? 

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imanol,

Following are the links which explains about the SAP JCo configuration :-

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/6f/1bd5b6a85b11d6b28500508b5d5211/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/en/48/707d9b872c1b5ae10000000a42189c/content.htm

Also you may refer SAP notes which might be usefule for you:-

Regards,

Yukti