cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amount of active sessions restriction

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

we are developing a portal integrated Web Dynpro ABAP application. The user is able to open several window pop ups within this application which will have their own session and will not be coupled to the originating app. The new sessions are also WDA applications.

Apart from the fact that the sessions consume lots of memory which will lead to restrictions, is there any maximum number of session per user like in SAP back end (modus)?

We could do a session restriction of lets say 5 windows of our own and hinder the user to open another window, is that a valid approach what would you do?

kind regards

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

an interesting issue!

Personally, I'd be reluctant to impose a limit on the number of sessions that the user could create, but I would consider designing the application so that multiple sessions were less likely. Where I have used multiple sessions in the past has been were I wanted to show some "drilldown" information about a particular item (for example an employee). These additional sessions are not really transactional - more information based. So they tend only to stick around for the length of a the WDA timeout - as the user tends not to click/interact with them (more review and compare/contrast with other details).

I'd only think about restricting the user experience when server performance was seriously impaired, and before that I'd want to know how hard it would be to improve/upgrade the underlying hardware!

That said - using constructs like the FPM OIF layout allow for lots of information to be available one screen, and might help with the need to have multiple sessions.

CHIPs might even help go one step further - with the ability to rearrange them as per user's desire and have them interact with the current layout.

My thoughts,

Cheers,

Chris

Answers (0)