Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDMP: TWIN Upgrade + Unicode conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

We have adopted twin upgrade and unicode conversion method and at present we are converting the twin system to unicode conversion.

In Twin system we have completed SPUMG 7 scans. Whether i need to run UMG_TWIN_CREATE_TRANSPORT now to save the results for twin preparation run or i need to perform this step after Additional preparatory step.

Kindly suggest

Regards

Vinay

3 REPLIES 3

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

1) The twin system is usually dedicated to execute the SPUMG scans only - it does not need to be converted ...

2) Additional preparation steps (2.2.4) has already been run implicitly in the Twin System (button Additional Preparation Steps on the SPUMG Welcome Screen). Therefore I do not understand your question. However the results of these steps will not be transfered to the PRD system (or TST system) - you have to run it separately in the target system after upgrade.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

0 Kudos

Hi Nils,

Thanks for your response.

1) OK fo TWIN system need not to be converted. As a project requirement we are doing conversion.

2) Sorry it was not Additonal preparatory step.

The report to save UMG_TWIN_CREATE_TRANSPORT to save result of twin preparation run has to run after

Final Preparation Steps or end of Scan 7 Index repair itself or it doesnt make difference?

Thanks and Regards

Vinay

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

Excerpt from the UCG:

2.4 Final Preparation Steps

2.4.1 SPUMG Updates

If there is a time difference between the scan and the database export, it may happen that a new table has been created or a Support Package has brought a new table with it. In such a case, the preconversion must be rerun right before the export is carried out to ensure that the data change is reflected in the Export Control Table.

End excerpt

Hence this step is necessary in case of DB changes (e.g. new tables with or without content).

Therefore if you have significant changes, I would recommend to create the twin transport after this step.

However this step has to be repeated in the PRD system as well (see TU&UC-Guide) to reflect the changes between Twin and PRD system. In order to minimize downtime, the differences between the two systems should be small.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG