Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read the contributions page

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear sirs,

I wonder if you have any tricks/ tips how to understand how did a man got his points. I am aware of the contributions page and the way how to navigate there, but in there I cannot see the information I am looking for. What I would like to see:

Otto Gold

- SAP Interactive forms by Adobe - 1000 points

- ABAP Printing - 50 points

- Career center - 20 points

- ABAP general - 10 points

Would anybody else find such information useful?

Regards Otto

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

GauthamV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One way you can use would be [Top contributors|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/topcontributors] .

Click top contributors and select specific area(cannot split Abap development for general,dictionary,etc..offcourse)

and mention date range.

But why are you looking for contributions for individual area ?

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do I ask:

- for a certain are and date interval I can see who are the top guys, cool

- on this page - CURRENT LIST OF THE LEADING CONTRIBUTORS IN ALL AREAS: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/leadingcontributors where I can see something similar (but for "all times contributors"?)

- sometimes I talk with strangers, mostly here in Community discussion, who have like tousands of points and i don´t know what is their background. I would like to be able to understand who the guy is, what is his background, if we have something in common etc. I have friends here and I don´t know where did they get their points and feel it is stupid to ask them directly. I would like to see the points for a person, not for a category.

I wonder if that sounds reasonable? Regards Otto

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

If you are interested in looking at someone in particular, in their business card under the tab "Community" you can see their contributions and the points they received. It's the link below "My Contributions" and it leads to a table. There you can search for "all times" or any other timeframe. You are able to see in which categories the person in question contributes most.

If you don't see the information, it means it's hidden by the person.

Does this help?

Laure

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Laure, I understand how it works for the other people, exactly the same way as my own Rew-ard poi-nts panel. I can see information like: thread name, category, 2 pts

but I would like to see the totals. To open ones profile and see 547 pts in PI ==> this guy is an integration expert. I don´t want to sum the poi-nts myself. There is a link for each row - the forum name, but it redirects to the forum instead of limiting the list down to the poi-nts received in that category.

Otto

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can see the totals if you know the user's business card ID. For example (and in another thread) Gareth, who publicly shares his points, looks like this:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/mypoints?userid=cf4nlgggdgl4k5u2n9sgva%3d%3d

But if I understand correctly, you are looking for sums by category right?

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But if I understand correctly, you are looking for sums by category right?

Correct. For example I cannot find the information like "how many points did I get in ABAP general in last three months".

Or: "I have a friend with 2000 pts, where did he get those? Or when".

I remember talking about some little-like-BI-data about the SCN/SDN in some other thread (like suggestions and comments), where it was asked to understand the goals of SAP on SDN, understand the quality of the forums, measure the contribution level for forums, people, changes in the contribution levels etc. This some something like that, but not about the forum, about the user. I can understand that some people would not like to publish the information about themselves, but if I could hide it like the points today, then there will be no problem, I hope. You know me, guys, I am no recruiter, but I can understand such thing could be misused, but would help me a lot.

Otto

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Would be helpful for me, or for my curiosity. But the intention behind my question is different. Imagine you would have this functionality available from the career center. If anybody would list yourprofile, he would be eable to check your contributors easily. And that would help the people, who may get a job, and the customer/ partners to find the best people available (if you would judge their skills through the contributions).

Otto

p.s.: I understand that time to time my ideas are off topic a little. I hope you don´t mind Marilyn, Laure and all other folks:))

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hey Otto,

By the way did you see that many of the folks that answer your thread here (or elsewhere) are female, very talented community members and also SCN team members I might add, maybe you can re-consider your usual "Dear Sirs" greeting for future posts into something more gender-neutral, you might attract even more good answers...

But anyway, I think this idea is not off at all, in fact I think it's right on.

Basically - hope you allow me to play with your numbers as an example - you means something like this:

Otto Gold: Total Points: 3,953 (sorry, does not include some of your most recent ones I think, need to check my data 🙂 )
ABAP Development      684
Business One            1
Business Process Exp    8
Exchange Infrastruct    2
General               474
SAP NetWeaver Platfo   40
Technologies        2,612
University Alliances  120
Web Dynpro             12
Overall Result      3,953

Right? Possibly even broken down into sub-categories where applicable.

Today when you click on any contribution history the primary breakdown is by content/collaboration type (Forum, Blog, Wiki, Code Samples, Review points etc. ) That's useful too, but a breakdown by Topic might be at least equally helpful in many situations, on yourself to check out which topic areas you contributed to most, but also if you follow other SCN members. Of course as always points shouldn't be used as a primary criteria to learn about let alone judge somebody, but still they can be one helpful element to learn more and dive into somebodies contributions.

Did I get you right Otto? Anything to add? Or other ideas (or concerns) from you or others?

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When the females here responded to you Otto with a gentle hint about our preference for "gender neutral" salutations we were ignored. Maybe if one of the sirs suggests the same, you will comply (only kidding of course) but in all seriousness, perhaps it is a translation thing - in some languages you have nouns that are gender neutral. Sirs isn't one of those in English.

Folks would be appropriate but maybe too "informal" for some folks If one wanted more formal salutation it might be Dear Participants . Dear Ladies and Gentlemen could be too long I suppose. Friends is another neutral but maybe too "familiar" ? Sir/Madam is very archaic. Really informal might be Dear Peeps or very very colloquial Yo! But hey Man, didn't work for Bhanu Gupta either. Nor does Dear Sirs for us.

I'm going to ask (nicely) again. Please drop the Dear Sirs.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

let me announce the change in the salutation once and for all:)))

You were right, Marilyn, with your guess, I thought (was told at school) that Dear Sirs should be "neutral", "formal" and "polite" to address ladies and gentleman. My mistake. Will watch my mouth in the future:)) I am afraid... I could use a language classes:(((

@Martin: Thank you for your support for the idea, I find it highly motivating and will do my best to outline "how to get there" and will do that in the mentioned Idea Place thread.

By the way, you look like a very good motivator, Martin (not the first time I have noticed). I would understand if your subordinates would like "above average" rate of overtimes and stuff:))

Otto

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Am excited to have your support for this Otto. If it's easier currently to post some of your thoughts for this here, or e.g. as a blog, feel free to do so too. I know you currently need to use rather not so pretty workarounds to use Idea Place, so if you rather do it here, please feel free to do so. It's completely up to you, but I thought a blog might actually be a great way to introduce some more concepts for this and hopefully we can gather some more support for API-ing SCN from more SCN folks passionate about the topic.

Also thanks for your feedback, your comments were a great way to start my day and you had me thinking about that throughout the day actually.

You know the way I look at it is, motivation is ultimately not something that you get from "above" (like in from your manager), sure if you have an inspiring boss (like I do actually) that helps, but it's just one factor and doesn't fully do the trick.

What does the trick is to find ways to use your own given talents and passions, interests and experience for the good of people around you. If you work for a profit generating company surely another factor is using what you can bring to the table also for the good of that company also.

For me in the past (and even for teams that worked for me or I with them) that often meant:

• to get to know the people that use what we build, implement or support and not just their managers

• to show excellence and always give our best

• to feel responsible and accountable for what we do even after a couple of years or if somebody on the other side of the globe starts using something we build

• to also really understand how the company we work for is making revenue and how those processes work from an end to end perspective, sounds easy, but it's amazing how many processes in companies today are very broken from an end-to-end perspective.

Anyway I realize I am not really that good of a writer wanted to leave you with a link, that really inspired me last year and still does going forward, lots of the [10 Mantras for Emerging Leaders in 2009|http://blogs.hbr.org/hbr/nayar/2008/12/10-mantras-for-emerging-leader.html] I love every single one of these 10 mantras and think they are applicable to basically all of us, as all of us are leaders in one way or the other, with or without HR responsibilities.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member187989
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check this

[CURRENT LIST OF THE LEADING CONTRIBUTORS IN ALL AREAS|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/leadingcontributors]

[Contributor Recognition Program|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/topcontributors]

or else click forum points of your friend it will list all his contribution list,But what you are looking for is not available.