Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a user in J2ee UME, if LDAP configured?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP Gurus,

I have a question for my J2EE engine. We configured LDAP for user storage, so that our User can use there normal LDAP user ID. Now I want to create an administrative user like J2EE_ADMIN or Administrator, these are standard users and present in the UME of the J2EE engine since the installation of my portal.

But when I go to the user admin and want to create this new admin user, I got an error message, that Im not able to create it.

I also try to create the user via the Visual Admin and the J2EE Useradmin.

So my question is, how can create this new user in the UME and NOT in the LDAP???

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

In UME configuration --> Data Sources tab, check your data source XML file.

Make sure that you have two data sources defined:

1. DataBasePersistence with properties isReadonly="false" isPrimary="true"

2. LDAPPersistence with properties isReadonly="true" isPrimary="true"

Hope this helps resolve your issue

Thanks and Regards,

Jassem

0 Kudos

Hi Jassem,

thanks, I will check this in my Portal. Is it so easy to use two kinds of user data source in J2EE?

Bye.

0 Kudos

Hi Marcel Haberland ,

If your idea is to have single Sign on , I would say the process is to create the user in LDAP itself that will be the single point of entry , Since the UME is configured and connected to LDAP normally with read permission your best bet will be to create the user in LDAP.

SSO with is configured to all your backend syst ( trusts needs to be configured between Java/Portal to all your backend systems by Basis team), also the ids needs to exist in all the backends.

Now to come back to your question:

If you can login to UME of portal/Java , and create the user do not expect it to appear on your LDAP

mainly because LDAP will never be configured in a Enterprise project as bidirectional ( ie Read/Write ), it will be readonly.

Also if the Basis/Portal team allow you the option to create the user in UME , they will have to restart the machine everytime you need to point to a different data source , but I dont know if this is the case in EHP4 versions, because SAP claims with EHP4 downtimes are almost nullified.

Edited by: Franklin Jayasim on Jun 29, 2010 6:59 PM

Edited by: Franklin Jayasim on Jun 29, 2010 7:02 PM

0 Kudos

Hi @all,

thanks for your answers.

@Jassem: I checked the UME config of our Portal. The xml Config file shows the same line you were posted.

@the Rest: Yes your are also right, our Portal <=>LDAP config is configured bidirectional, so the portal only can read. The main fact is, that we have Single Sign on configured and I dont want to use a domain user, I want to use a user which is only existing in the portal. I had also the idea for re-configure the UME config to UME DB of the portal, create the user and after that switch back to LDAP. But my colleague from the portal administration wont do this. So this why Im asking for an easy way ;-).

Has anybody an other suggestion???

Bye, Marcel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Find out from the security team whether you have authorization to create users in UME?

Is LDAP connected to portal? If LDAP is connected to portal then might be user creation is from LDAP

Is it a dual stack system? if it is a dual stack system, do you have access to ABAP systems?

you can even create users from ABAP system also

Thanks.

Sri

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see this question is still open... I have the similar issue. Our Java standalone system is connected to LDAP. When I try to create a user in the UME there is no way I can let it know, that I actually want to create a user in the UME... it always tries to connect to LDAP and create the user there which is failiing of course, because we only have read access to LDAP (which is fine).

Does this mean, once I connected to LDAP, I can't create any more users on UME level? That would be just too bad.

Anybody have any ideas how to create it?

Cheers