cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'Integer' is not valid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to all,

I've installed a new BPC server...it seemed to be working correctly, however, I cannot process any dimension.

When I arrive at the point "Update OLAP", I receive this error

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'Integer' is not valid

I haven't found any notes about it...I've tried to uninstall and reinstall everything, but to no avail.

Any idea?

Thanks

Daniele

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've been finally able to install a SQL Server 2008 EE, NOT R2...

And still get the error, so it's something else.

From what I've been able to see with SAP Support (but they are investigating), sometimes BPC doesn't write the "H1" column in the mbr<name> table.

Has anyone seen something like this?

Thanks

Daniele

Former Member
0 Kudos

For anyone else that's reading this thread beceause they have a similar error, the earlier post from nilanjan on the tables to check is great! I would like to add an additional piece to check. You also need to check the table tblAppSetServerInfo for the entries there. There should be one line for each appset on your server. Each appset in a standard installation would have the same values in all fields except for description. (the same web server, olap server, database server, etc) This is worth mentioning because if you're implementing SSL after you've already installed BPC as a non-secure socket layer installation the tables nilanjan spoke of and the one above can change to different values.

sorin_radulescu
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

The SQL Server version is wrong Daniele.

I think that's the problem.

Please use SQL Server EE because it is the only supported version.

The main problem is the fact that you Deveoper Edition R2.

Regards

Sorin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sorin,

I hoped I would 've got lucky like when I did a test installation with SQL Server 2005 (I used the Developer Edition, and no problem at all).

I just need to keep asking to my admins "hey, how do we get a SQL Server EE?"...sigh

Former Member
0 Kudos

It would benefit us if we understood what version you have installed, assuming it is 7.5 SP3. If this new server has been loaded with an old DB/application set, I would bet that either the data has a corrupt row, or a few records that are causing the error. Does Apshell work at ALL? It just sounds like an issue you would run into if you moved an older appset into a new installation. Please let us know if that is or is not the case here.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Petar,

you're right, I've forgot to mention the version.

It's a new install with BPC 7.0, SP 7. I've tried a few times to uninstall everything (deleting all from Program Files, BPC, and so on), but still...the results are the same.

I can make an evdre on Finance normally with my user, but still, cannot process a dimension.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have a different version 7 basd small appset that you may load via server manager? Have you tried to process the cubesor dimensions via MSAS? That may provide a clue as to where the NULL setting is being picked up.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

no I haven't any other appset...

How do I process a dimension throgh SSAS without the Admin Console?

Thanks

Daniele

sorin_radulescu
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Danielle,

I will verify few things:

1. Regional Settings for application server to be English US

2. Make sure you installed into SSAS Server SQL Server Enterprise Edition (it is required).

Regards

Sorin Radulescu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sorin,

thank you for your kind answer.

- I've checked many times the regional settings, and they are fine.

- No, I haven't got the Enterprise, but the Developer (however, with SQL Server 2005 it worked).

What worries me if that maybe is the fact that it's the SQL Server 2008 R2...

Thanks anyway

Daniele

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please try the below steps:

1. Connect to the database server using SQL server Management Studio.

2. Expand the AppServer database.

3. View the dbo.tblServerInfo table and make note of the server names available under the ServerName column.

4. View the dbo.tblAppSetInfo table and verify that all the server fields are pointing to a valid server from step 3.

5. Edit any fields that are not pointing to a valid server.

6. Close the Excel client and relaunch it to try again.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi nilanjan,

no, every value is already set and correct...

Thanks anyway

Daniele

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can try the below:

1. In SQL> dbo.tbldimension for the application set in question.

2. Change all the 'Null' values to '0' in the DimIndex column.

3. Once this is done exit SQL.

4. Return to BPC Admin and process the dimensions.

Alternatively, you can also try:

On the Application Server

1. Go to menu Start > Settings > Control Panel

2. Click Administrative Tools

3. Click Component Services

4. Expand Computer > My Computer > COM+ Applications

5. Right click OsoftUserManage > Properties

6. Go to Identity tab

7. Add or re-add the BPC sysadmin account and re-type the password

8. Click OK

9. Shutdown and start the component

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi nilanjan,

About the point 1...well, in the appset ApShell, all the DimIndex are different from NULL, equal to 0...so it's already ok.

About the point 2...tried it, but it didn't work either.

I've already tried to uninstall sql server 2008 r2, and to install sql server 2008 normal, and still get the error...