cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh of DEV from PRD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, SAP Gurus!

For our upgrade project, we need to refresh the DEV system from a recent copy of PRD. Our dev system must contain only configuration (i.e. no user data). This needs to be a new system with only ONE client in it. PRD and QAS are also single client systems.

We have not been able to find any official SAP document on this procedure.Seems like a standard procedure, so there should be a documented guide out there.

We are under a WIndows 2003 + Oracle 9i setup and running R3 Enterprise 4.7 ext. 2.00.

DEV is the domain controller for STMS.

Any ideas you can provide are wellcomed.

MC

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your help. We keep trying to delete the original client after the clilent copy.

THe process takes very long and stalls after 6 hours. My current client is about 900GB and the process stops about 40% of the process. Then apparently a roll back occurs.

Any suggestions? I ve tried from inside sap and from the command line.

ANy previous tunning necesary?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think it will take very long time to delete client of 900 GB. But few suggestions.

You can check from which table it is trying to delete the data before the process is stopped, Then check the size of the table at database using sql query and also cout the number of rows using MANDT (Client)

If the rows are in millions, I have deleted from sql using row count and MANDT as the condition ( it is very tedious process and not sure if it is supported by SAP)

Tunning: May be you can try tuning or increasing psaptemp and undo tablespaces.

Thanks,

Venkat.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please follow the SAP Note Note 130906, as suggested by Shivaji

Regards,

Sanujit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Bit confused with your question and approch details. Are you trying to build a new Development system or want to refresh your existing Development box.

1. If it is a new development, go through your approach. i.e. install a new Dev system, refresh the database, create a new client with config only, and remove the copied production client since you don't want the production data. Done...

2. If it is your exising development system. The first question is why ? still if you need to do, please ensure to export the version information and re-import it back after the system refresh process. If it is not absolutely necessary, I would suggest for a remote config only client copy from production. As you have mentioned there are mis matches in workbench ( I beleive you are pointing to dictionary objects (Tables). Then fix those and go ahead with a client copy. I don't think it should be much if this is your existing development system & not a sand box...

Regards,

Sanujit

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is a new DEV system. We want to use PRD as original for the copy since the config is ok in PRD. Our dev system is not up to date.

Any ideas as to how to generate the Export? i´ve never done it before.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP does not recommend refresh of DEV system from PRD as you might lose version database. Version database resides only in DEV system. In case you have to refresh DEV system then there is workaround to get the version database. That workaaround is given in SAP Note 130906.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Shivaji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Best way for what you asked is doing the client copy. As per your requirement you can choose the profile accordingly for the client export and import. If you want your existing DEV config also create another separate client.

Worst case since your DB is in TB size. Create the copy of the production isolating the existing DEV. Then take the DEV config export and import it. After doing and enverything found ok delete the isolated old DEV system.

Regards

D.Mukudan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For your scenario it seems you need to go with client copy , but

This needs to be a new system with only ONE client in it

But this doesnot means it is new system either you can create new client in DEV or can overwrite any existing client.

For copying only configuration refer this link

https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-33675

Other option is system copy but that will replicate your PRD data including master and transaction(I guess that is not required).

So you need to explore client copy option for your requirement.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for you reply.

We tried the (remote) client copy option from PRD or CAL into a newly installed DEV. The copy process fails because workbenches are different.

We were thinking the following process might work:

1. Full system copy from PRO into a new DEV.

2. Local client copy in the new system. Using profile SAP_UCSV

3. Delete original PRD client in the new system. Our current DB is TB in size, so we do not want to have the database that big.

4. Oracle Export.

5. Install a new system

6. Import the Oracle DMP.

DOn´t know if this is a standard procedure. It might work. We still do not have the details.

ANy other ideas?