cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LDAP as a user source in UME

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We have a concern regarding the user source to be selected at UME level.

At CUP level you can also set the user source for user details.

Our questions here:

1) Is there any relationship between such user source configuration?

2) Which is the best practice here?

Many thanks in advance. Best regards,

Imanol

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Frank,

Is there any best practice to define UME user source and CUP data source / CUP user details source?

Example:

If few users will be using CUP > Define UME user source LOCAL

For CUP User Source and CUP user source details ALWAYS LDAP.

Thanks in advance. Regards,

Imanol

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, that completely depends on your usage scenario, or where you want/can maintain user data best.

Frank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no best practice. SAP recommends to use your master/main user source as the soruce for user details and user search. For authentication, your choice is limited to UME but you can connect your UME to LDAP, SAP HR, SAP ABAP etc.

Regards,

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Frank.

One further question:

If we setup the UME User Data Source as DB Local (instead of LDAP), which is the best practice to set up the User Data Source in CUP?

Imanol

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You need a system that has all the users you want to potentially work with in SAP, plus as many details as you wish to provision.

Usually ActiveDirectory or SAP HR are the best places, or a CUA.

Local DB means you need to create the UME users first before CUP sees them. This is only a good option if you need to limit the people that can work with/in CUP.

Frank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Alpesh.

I am sorry for the missunderstanding but what I tried to ask was if:

There is anyrelationship between the source data you set up at UME administration level (when defining users within UME) and the source data set up at CUP level.

Imanol

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Imanol,

if you're setting up UME to use ActiveDirectory as a data source you can set the CUP data source to UME and get at the AD users from CUP.

While I would advise linking UME to AD usually (if you do that there's no need to create users and passwords for new approvers), I would still create an LDAP connector for AD directly in CUP.

Only the LDAP connector will alllow you to use ALL ActiveDirectory fields for custom fields and/or provisioning extended data into your ERP systems (location, room, department etc.).

Frank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Imanol,

I apologize but you are comparing which user source to which user source. CUP contains search user source and user details data source. CUP will use search user source to search users and will use user details data source to get all the information related to user.

Alpesh