cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Server 6.30 (SAPDB 7.30) install on Solaris 10 M3000 server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

We have a new project that will take copies of existing SAP components to create a new SAP landscape. The currently landscape is

ECC5, Oracle 10.2, Solaris 9

Content Server 6.30, SAPDB 7.3, Solaris 9

Solution Manager 7 EHP1, Oracle 10.2, Solaris 9

All installed on Sun V440, V490 servers.

The new landscape will be Sun M3000 server which needs to have Solaris 10.

We will make use of Solaris 10 zones for ECC5 and Solution Manager 7 EHP1, both of which are supported for Oracle 10.2

But Content Server 6.30, SAPDB 7.3 is NOT supported on Solaris 10

So do we upgrade to Content Server 6.40, MaxDB 7.6, Solaris 10 zone?

Or do we install a Solaris 9 branded zone and run Content Server 6.30 from there?

Is Content Server 6.30, SAPDB 7.3, in a Solaris 9 branded zone on a Solaris 10 server supported?

Or do we have to upgrade?

All comments welcome.

Thanks

Graham

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So do we upgrade to Content Server 6.40, MaxDB 7.6, Solaris 10 zone?

yes.

> Or do we install a Solaris 9 branded zone and run Content Server 6.30 from there?

That's also a way to go but to make use of the most current software I'd go for 6.40/MaxDB 7.6.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus

Thanks for the very quick response to my question. I have one further related question:

The client is very cost focused. Long term support and features are not a consideration (this landscape will be set up ready to be sold) so the quickest simplest method will be preferred.

I couldn't find any information about SAP components installed in a Solaris 9 branded zone. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place but ...

Is support for SAP components in Solaris 9 branded zones; if the component is supported on Solaris 9, then it is supported on a Solaris 9 branded zone. Or are there conditions to be met?

Maybe this isn't the right forum. But any information you can provide would help.

Thanks

Graham

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> The client is very cost focused. Long term support and features are not a consideration (this landscape will be set up ready to be sold) so the quickest simplest method will be preferred.

> Is support for SAP components in Solaris 9 branded zones; if the component is supported on Solaris 9, then it is supported on a Solaris 9 branded zone. Or are there conditions to be met?

A 'branded zone' is from the application point of view a Solaris 9. Whether that OS runs in a zone/virtualized or native on the bare metal doesn't matter.

I though wonder why you (or you client) thinks that this is cheaper than using the native OS' capabilities. AFAIK those branded zones need to be licensed separately.

Markus

Answers (0)