cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maxdb - programming language interface

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which is the best programming language to interface with MAXDB database ?

Is there any framework that provides easy integration of MaxDB with the programming language ?

Regards,

Tom Jerry

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thread closed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kristian,

let me give a short statement on the MaxDB community edition's near future: We will continue to provide this free community edition and that includes publishing new versions, too. We will not comment on dates or timeframes because SAP's delivery constraints might impact these.

Thanks for your understanding

Best regards

Jörg Hoffmeister, SAP MaxDB Team

PS: Expect Infolytics to stay supporting MaxDB for non-SAP as well.

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Joerg,

first off, thanks a bunch for your comment on that, really much appreciated. Generally, I am glad to see the MaxDB community version so far is not at stake. And no, there's no real need to have timelines or release dates at hand as this, generally, seems to be just partially reliable as we know from everyday project work. However, my question actually was aiming at a different thing: What is SAPs strategy relating to the "community edition" of MaxDB? What's the actual, strategic reason of having it available to the community "for free" (in terms of money)? Right now, once in a while, I see at the very least two problems related to MaxDB as far as our environment is concerned:

- Roadmap related not to timelines and/or release dates but to features. In example, as stated before, JPA 2.0 support - not that we would immediately need it, but right now we're into rebuilding parts of our application (Java EE / Spring based) and surely wonder whether or not we will see JPA 2.0 / EclipseLink support in MaxDB anytime soon. I have a response on the eclipselink newsgroup by some SAP engineer that it is "likely to be around in a single digit count of months", but it more or less seems work done by a single volunteer (in his spare time?) rather than an SAP activity related to MaxDB. This is not a general problem, but these things make using the "community edition" in a planned environment pretty difficult, even though having (pretty good) support by Infolytics.

- Awareness of other "open users". So far, the single only communication point for SAP MaxDB (both relating to SAP and non-SAP users) seems this forum. We don't have much to contribute, eventually our application backend and outlining that it works, it is possible to use it with SAP MaxDB being the best thing we do have. We would not hesitate providing such information for the sake of promoting SAP MaxDB use also to non-SAP users but somehow, overally, I am at times left with the feeling that SAP doesn't really care about people (not) using the community edition. Thus, the initial question regarding overall "MaxDB community edition strategy".

Oh well, completely off-topic now, better stop here.

K.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Which is the best programming language to interface with MAXDB database ?

Ahem... which one are you best at programming in?

> Is there any framework that provides easy integration of MaxDB with the programming language ?

Sure.

And we even documented it.

Reading the documentation might help a lot here....

regads,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

what is the name of the framework designed based on maxdb - java integration.

I am referring to frameworks like struts, ruby on rails, velocity, etc.

I am a beginner in using maxdb database. And I want some proper guidance in using Java for interfacing with the database.

Agreed that the documentation has already been made available, but it is not user-friendly especially for beginners.

hence, requested for baby steps to build an java application.

Regards,

Tom Jerry.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> what is the name of the framework designed based on maxdb - java integration.

> I am referring to frameworks like struts, ruby on rails, velocity, etc.

???

Ok, I admit, I'm not a professional java developer but....

STRUTS is a general web application development framework.

VELOCITY is a language for using templates to use java objects.

RUBY ON RAILS is also a language/framework for creating web applications.

None of them is specifically a database integration framework.

If you want an example for a application framework that works seamless with MaxDB and all other major databases - go for SAP NetWeaver

It has a lot to offer, a huge user/developer base, professional support, really is mission-critical-proof and you can download the developer version here in SDN as well.

> I am a beginner in using maxdb database. And I want some proper guidance in using Java for interfacing with the database.

> Agreed that the documentation has already been made available, but it is not user-friendly especially for beginners.

Ok, the documentation may be a bit more extensive - but it already covers quite enough to get started.

E.g. [Example: HelloMaxDB|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_7/46/7bb199e97150d1e10000000a155369/content.htm].

Make sure to check the [Java Manual|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_7/46/7bb193e97150d1e10000000a155369/content.htm].

> hence, requested for baby steps to build an java application.

You've got the 'baby steps' right there.

But there's not going to be anybody taking them for you - programming is not following screenshots ...

So, have fun!

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the detailed guidance.

Agreed that none of the above mentioned frameworks are used for database integration. But there are certain open source editors like Eclipse and Net Beans that provides plugins for such kind of cross-integration between frameworks and database connectivity.

SAP Netweaver is obviously the choice for programmers. But I dont think it is open-source. I am asking for a editor which is open-source and which is designed to work with open-source items like MaxDB and Java / Perl / Python.

You said we can download the developer version of SAP NetWeaver and use it. Is it true that SAP NetWeaver is a open-source software ? How do I start developing programs from there ? Any basic steups for SAP NetWeaver ?

Regards,

Tom Jerry

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Thanks for the detailed guidance.

>

> Agreed that none of the above mentioned frameworks are used for database integration. But there are certain open source editors like Eclipse and Net Beans that provides plugins for such kind of cross-integration between frameworks and database connectivity.

>

Ok, Eclipse = IDE Framework

NetBeans = IDE

for both you can e.g. use JDBC for database connections.

That's working fine with MaxDB as well - where's the problem?

> SAP Netweaver is obviously the choice for programmers. But I dont think it is open-source. I am asking for a editor which is open-source and which is designed to work with open-source items like MaxDB and Java / Perl / Python.

MaxDB is not open source at all.

And Java is neither.

Are you're looking for OpenSource software or do you just want some stuff that you can legally use without paying for it?

> You said we can download the developer version of SAP NetWeaver and use it. Is it true that SAP NetWeaver is a open-source software ? How do I start developing programs from there ? Any basic steups for SAP NetWeaver ?

Sorry, again: Programming is much like learning to talk and write in a foreign language.

You have to learn it yourself, actively using the language.

No "basic language hints" from the travel guide ever taught somebody the language.

The same is true for programming.

Sure you can get a "HELLO WORLD" for every language/IDE/development environment/framework/platform etc.

But will this help you to learn to program?

No way.

You can however use the resources available here on SDN to get all required software legally and to start learning to use the SAP technology.

So, if you're interested in that - there are the WIKIs, there are the forums, there are the knowledge articles...

Just look them up and make yourself familiar with it.

regards,

Lars

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Folks,

a few thoughts that came to mind:

>

> > Agreed that none of the above mentioned frameworks are used for database integration. But there are certain open source editors like Eclipse and Net Beans that provides plugins for such kind of cross-integration between frameworks and database connectivity.

> >

> Ok, Eclipse = IDE Framework

> NetBeans = IDE

Actually, both NetBeans and Eclipse provide an environment for building desktop ("rich client") applications as well as an IDE to do development, including developing applications based upon the platform they're built upon, themselves (Eclipse Rich Client Platform, NetBeans Rich Client Platform).

> > SAP Netweaver is obviously the choice for programmers. But I dont think it is open-source. I am asking for a editor which is open-source and which is designed to work with open-source items like MaxDB and Java / Perl / Python.

>

> MaxDB is not open source at all.

> And Java is neither.

Well, as far as I see things, there are open source implementations of the Sun Java platform available and have been for quite a while. So from that point of view, your statement is at least slightly inaccurate.

K.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Well, as far as I see things, there are open source implementations of the Sun Java platform available and have been for quite a while. So from that point of view, your statement is at least slightly inaccurate.

>

> K.

Points taken - and yes, I knew they would come up

Doesn't change any of the points I wanted to stress in my reply.

This wasn't about "can I access the source code of JAVA or MAXDB?".

This was about "can I have it for free?".

regards,

Lars

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

>

> Points taken - and yes, I knew they would come up

So guess it's good you weren't disappointed here.

> Doesn't change any of the points I wanted to stress in my reply.

> This wasn't about "can I access the source code of JAVA or MAXDB?".

> This was about "can I have it for free?".

Yeah, I know what you mean. Unfortunately, these days, in 99.5% of all cases, when people ask for "open source" they actually ask for "want-it-for-free", especially when it comes to contributing back anything to an open source project (be that time, energy, code, ...).

By the way talking about "free-beer" vs. "free-speech" vs. "community versions": Is there any sort of a roadmap, development plan, ... for the "community users" to know where MaxDB is heading and at which time which new release will be made available? So far, I see there is documentation for MaxDB 7.8 at hand but no binaries so far?

Cheers & all the best,

Kristian

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yeah, I know what you mean. Unfortunately, these days, in 99.5% of all cases, when people ask for "open source" they actually ask for "want-it-for-free", especially when it comes to contributing back anything to an open source project (be that time, energy, code, ...).

Full ack.

> By the way talking about "free-beer" vs. "free-speech" vs. "community versions": Is there any sort of a roadmap, development plan, ... for the "community users" to know where MaxDB is heading and at which time which new release will be made available? So far, I see there is documentation for MaxDB 7.8 at hand but no binaries so far?

Hmm... ok, how to answer that?

See, I'm working in primary support a.k.a. the lower end of the food chain.

We do have a good contact with development but still they did not get into the habit in sending me their strategy or schedule

So, I've to say: no idea about that.

On the other hand: I did not hear about any plans to stop providing MaxDB as free community versions as it used to be for the past years.

MaxDB 7.8 is not even completely released for all SAP products (but already the basis of the current DB Studio). Therefore I assume (= not sure, = no evidence for that at hand, = just my unofficial private thinking) that it will be released.

Concerning development plans... I simply have to say again: no precise idea.

But: SAP development is heavily using the SCRUM development process and this requires a Product Owner.

And to me there's currently mainly one product owner and it's in-house SAP...

So basically, what this product owner needs will make it into the product. If these are functions and features anybody else can use - maybe so, maybe no...

best regards,

Lars

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lars;

and first off, thanks a bunch for your thoughts on that (though pretty off-topic in here by now... ). My problem(?) here is that, once in a while, I wonder what strategy SAP actually is pursuing with the MaxDB "community edition" and why it is provided free-of-charge, after all, without an option for people being no-SAP-customers (like us) to "just" buy support and eventually a license of MaxDB for a non-SAP environment. I mean, don't get me wrong, but so far after termination of the SAP/MySQL collaboration on that, using SAP MaxDB for non-SAP application seems to become increasingly difficult a thing to do simply because, though being a stable and rock-solid platform, the "non-SAP" use case so far lacks a roadmap or a visible development plan to align with a custom IT strategy. Shortly after we moved most of our IT infrastructure to MaxDB, MySQL stopped selling support/licenses for that. By now, we run this platform, invested quite a bunch of money into making our applications run atop it pretty well, are spending money then and now on external consulting (Infolytics) given the need, but overally feel more and more unsure about things as we don't know where MaxDB is heading in near future. Absence or just rudimentary support of some interesting platforms (Hibernate, JPA2/EclipseLink, Python in general as it seems) doesn't make this much better. That's why I asked. But I can imagine that, being in support, you're not really the one to answer this question, and I, representing "just" a community user, eventually am not in a position to ask things like that... 😕

K.