cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Data Model Design

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our Data Base organization is designing the data model. Our business is one where we acquire product (from suppliers) and some value and resell. The data model is being designed where supplier inventory data (called 'availability' here...) is incorporated into the repository... most likely as a Qual-Lookup (not finalized as yet...). Now having R3 ERP experience, my first conern is that we're attempting to repository data in MDM which is not really 'master' data. My second concern and one that is even more disconcerting, is that this will cause a high volume of changes on even an hourly basis, since inventory can (and will) change constantly.

Has anyone broached this 'design' issue and have any recommendations? My thinking is to keep teh supplier invnetory out of MDM completely and access it via API through an iView.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom

The philosophy of Master Data Management is to store Non Transactional data in the central hub. Logistics data, such as inventory-levels is clearly not master data. personally I would refrain from storing this data in the MDM repository. I think that accessing this information from an additional system and setting up a UI (Portal or other using the API) that can show the data from the MDM and the additional system is the right way to go.

Charles

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all... Christine, Charles and Vinay for your commentary on this issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TOm,

As per your requirement it seems that you do not have to work all on master data.One way is obviously to work on master data in MDM and to work on data suspectible to undergo frequent changes on portal.But unfortunately SP03 portals do not support a few features in portal required to give a full feel ,capable of changing the data.So you may not be fully satisfied with the working of portals as GUI for data in SP03.However SP04 is overcoming these drawbacks which may release in sep 06.

please mark helpful answers

feel free to ask further

Regards

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

the actual product and supplier data are classic master data, so you can easily use MDM for them (in seperate repositories). The connection between them and amount information, as you said, are not master data.

I'd advise you to use a portal accessing both the MDM system for the master data and then another system for the inventory information. With a portal (best with Guided Procedure) you can model your workflow (like purchase product) without the user noticing the change in application.

Also, in SP4 you'll get enhanced Portal content for MDM and an integration in the UWL.

I hear domething about an SRM scenario in MDM scheduled in fall, but I don't know anything about that yet, but you might wanna keep looking for that.

Cheers,

chris