cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back end activities for Activation & Deactivation of Aggregates

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Could any body help me to understand the back-end activites performed at the time of activation and deactivation of aggregates.

Is filling of Agreegate is same as Roll up?

What is the diffrence between de-activation and deletion of Aggregate?

Thanks.

Santanu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Rollup is when your transactional data is commited in your aggregates, basically.

Deactivation and deletion,

when you deactivate an aggregate, this particular aggregate is not taken into account for queries.

Aggregate deletion, you delete all info contained into this aggregate, but you can keep the aggregate structure.

I hope it can help u.

Kind regards

MD.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Info but I am looking for some table level inormation like if we activate an aggreegate what happens in the back end step by step process like Insertion of new record in the rsddaggrdir table with the status "A". I want some more info about aggregate tables like what happens and how it stores data into Aggreegate tables.

Roll up is actually doing what? Is it aggregating data based on some Key figure and getting inserted into the aggreegate table?

What are the diffrences between activation and roll-up if any?

The same thing I would like to know for de-activation also.

Regards,

Santanu

naresh_babu3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bose,

Activation:

In order to use an aggregate in the first place, it must be defined activated and filled.When you activate it, the required tables are created in the database from theaggregate definition. Technically speaking, an aggregate is actually a separate BasicCube with its own fact table and dimension tables. Dimension tables that agree with the InfoCube are used together. Upon creation, every aggregate is given a six-digit number that starts with the figure1. The table names that make up the logical object that is the aggregate are then derived in a similar manner, as are the table names of an InfoCube. For example, if the aggregate has the technical name 100001, the fact tables are called: /BIC/E100001 and /BIC/F100001. Its dimensions, which are not the same as those in the InfoCube,have the table names /BIC/D100001P, /BIC/D100001T and so on.

Rollup:

New data packets / requests that are loaded into the InfoCube cannot be used at first for reporting if there are aggregates that are already filled. The new packets must first be written to the aggregates by a so-called “roll-up”. In other words, data that has been recently loaded into an InfoCube is not visible for reporting, from the InfoCube or aggregates, until an aggregate roll-up takes place. During this process you can continue to report using the data that existed prior to the recent data load. The new data is only displayed by queries that are executed after a successful roll-up.

Go for the below link for more information.

http://sapbibw2010.blogspot.in/2010/10/aggregates.html

Naresh