cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to windows 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we currently have our SAP systems running on windows 2003 64bit MSCS and SQL 2005. We want to upgrade to Windows 2008. We fulfill the pre-requisites for upgrade.

i know the simple way would be to install windows 2008 on a fresh system and them perform a system copy but this is something which will take a lot of time.

Now when we try and perform a upgrade to windows 2008 on the existing systems, it breaks the cluster, when we recreate the cluster, the SQL and windows services are lost, is there a way to save these groups or we need to recreate them(manually or reinstall)

Any best practices

Yogi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos
former_member189546
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

See system copy guides sapinst will guide you through all the steps.

www.service.sap.com/systemcopy

Check Microsoft knowledgebase for information on upgrading cluster from 2003

to 2008

This is more a Microsoft issue.

regards,

John Feely

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi John,

We plannng a preparing for a similar task

Taking ECC 6.0 from win. 2003 sql 2005 64bit Unicode to win 2008 , sql 2008 same, migrated to NEW servers.

Please provide advice ...

I will need to order new DVDs? will I be able to install sql 2008 using vbs file , as i have researched and it indicated that I will need to install from scratch?

We are doing our entire SAP landscape (ECC, BI and Portal)

Then we are also implementing cluster(failover, LB ) for the production servers.

Will I need to install SAP / SQL for DEV/QAS in any special way for them to interface to Production which will be clustered?

Any advise will definitely be helpfull as I go thru my research and planning

Kind Regards,

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

i did several workarounds and here is finally what i found.

1. SAP does not support windows 2008 R2. you have to go with non R2 release

2 the MSCS has been redesigned in windows so there is no good way of migrating 2003 cluster services to 2008. i tried some cluster migration tools but that was a lot of effort(i did not succeed anyway) so i finally end up reinstalling.

3. you have to use the SR3 media.

4. if you are upgrading to windows 2008, best way is to first detach the DB, and detach the SAN disks, reinstall windows 2008, install SQL 2008 attach DB, reinstall SAP central services, Instances.

it took some time but since in production we also have to migrate the hardware, we will stage the new servers in advance and then just move the SAN disks.

. i am closing the thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruwali ,

Do we need to install all the instances after attaching the SAP and Data file or just the central Service Instance for ABAP ?

Here is my situtaion :

We have ABAP+JAVA System

We have detach the database and SAN . Install Windows 2008 and SQL 2008 . after this we have attached the database and SAN both ,

Now do we need to delte all the old SAP installation files from the SAN or we can just install the Central Service Instance and we will be good ? Do we need to do the rest of the instllation like Database Instance installation ,First MSCS Node ,Additional MSCS node etc...

Appriciate your quick help on this .

Thanks ,

Bhanu Pratap Singh

former_member189546
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you being the cluster SAP and db offline before starting?

Also stop and disable all the sap and db services.before starting

os upgrade.

regards,

John Feely

Former Member
0 Kudos

yup i did that, unfortunately windows 2008 MSCS does not migrate the cluster services of windows 2003. we need to create them manually.

I am trying workarounds but looking for some standard steps if someone has done it before.

Yogesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>this is something which will take a lot of time.

But much less than trying to update the OS with no SAP reinstallation...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

i am not sure as reinstalling means

1. Reinstall OS

2. Reinstall DB

3. Reinstall SAP Cluster Services

If upgrading means only upgrading the OS, it shoudl take much less time