cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block material Type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru's

Is it possible to block a material type?

I have searched extensively in this forum, but still was unable to get an answer.

Please enlighten.

Thanks & best regards

satish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

a material type that has no number range assigned cannot be used.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone

Thanks one and all for responding.

Since we wanted to block this material type for all users across all the plants and company codes, I think MR.Jürgen's suggestion would be the most appropriate for the given scenario.

Thanks Once again

satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Itu2019s not advisable to block material type. Flow this at critical cases.

You can add an authorization group to the material type. An authorization can be added to the material type via transaction OMS2. Users who do not have authorization for M_MATE_MAR for the authorization group on that material type will not be able to maintain it in MM01.

pherasath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Go to OMS2...double click on the material type you want to block....here maintain the Block reason in the field X-plant matl status

or

Enter a Authorization group like ZA01 (for example) in OMS2...now check with your BASIS person to use this authorization group from restricting the user using this material type

Regards,

Indranil

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Go to OMS2...double click on the material type you want to block....here maintain the Block reason in the field X-plant matl status

>

> or

>

> Enter a Authorization group like ZA01 (for example) in OMS2...now check with your BASIS person to use this authorization group from restricting the user using this material type

>

> Regards,

>

> Indranil

this is just a default for new material creation, but it does not stop creating materials, it only stops usage.

Former Member
0 Kudos

But i think with Authorization group in OMS2 it is possible to restict the user from using the material type...Atleast my BASIS person was able to restrict user from using a particular material type with this Authorization group...

Regards,

Indranil

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

authorization certainly works, I never questioned this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dhamane

We have maintained several material types and one such is "PROJ" . But this material type has served its purpose and we do

not want our user to accidentally create a material using this material type.

We have more than 5000 users working on SAP spread across India and for the time being we do not want any of the users to create any material using this material type "PROJ"

We may create a material using this material type in the near future as the situation demands.

But right now we do not want any of the users to create any material using this material type "PROJ"

So please suggest a way to block the material type in SAP

Thanks

satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Why you want block material type?