cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email test for SAP telnet test as per note 607108 - 554 Transaction failed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We're having some problems getting the email functionality to work. When we do a test email via telnet (as per Note 607108 - Problem analysis when sending or receiving e-mails) we get the message:

554 Transaction failed

We have already followed the following forum to set the MAIL_USER password correctly for SAPConnect under SICF:

Does anyone know what else this error message could mean / what needs to be done?

Thanks

Ross

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tiago_scherer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ross,

Such errors can happen due to several reasons. Some of the reasons are:

1. The debugging mode is on. Go to SCOT -> Right Click -> Queue Off (Or CTRL + Shift + F12). After that, test again.

2. The parameter is/SMTP/virt_host_* is incorrect. Try to set it to "is/SMTP/virt_host_* = :;" Don't forget the ';' (semicolon) at the end!

3. The SMTP service is not running fine. Check it on SMICM.

4. Try to increase the "Max. Processing Time" (Proc. Timeout) of the SMTP service in SMICM to 1800.

5. Check again if the SMTP user from SICF is not locked.

Hope this helps,

Tiago

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiago

Thanks for your response. I have checked:

1. Tried with Queue on and off - same issue both times.

2. is/SMTP/virt_host_* is set to .; which I believe should be fine. I cannot change this anyway as this is a Live system and we cannot stop/restart easily.

3. SMTP service seems to be running okay.

4. "Max. Processing Time" (Proc. Timeout) of the SMTP service - only set to 90 but would a restart be required to change this?

5. User is not locked.

Anything else I can check?

Cheers

Ross

tiago_scherer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ross,

I would suggest checking note 455140. Looks like the parameter is/SMTP/virt_host_0 is incorrectly configured on your system. I would suggest now setting it to:

is/SMTP/virt_host_0 = :;

and testing again. You don't need to restart the instance as this parameter is DynamicallySwitchable. Also make sure that the SMTP service is running on SMICM -> Goto -> Services. The Actv flag must be green for the service.

Regards,

Tiago

tiago_scherer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ross,

Not sure why but looks like the forum is removing my asterisks. The parameter is:

is/SMTP/virt_host_0 = asterisk:asterisk;

As described on the note I mentioned before.

Regards,

Tiago

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oops, it seems some of my values were missed too, plus I had misread the value - it wasn't a . it was indeed a :

I.e. the parameter is correctly set as you suggested / as per the note...

Any other suggestions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's seems all the settings were correct; it's just the service needed re-activating once the username and password had been set, hadn't been done! Set to Active and then the test worked okay.

Thanks

Answers (0)