cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Portal needed for SRM component

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are having an EP portal for ESS, MSS scenario.We are also implementing SAP SRM which requires portal as frontend. Just wanted to know whether we can user existing portal(having ESS,MSS) for SRM as frontend?

Please let me know any pros and cons of having separate portal for SRM and not having also.

Thanks and Regards,

Sanjay Patwal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sanjay,

There is absolutely no problem in using SRM along with ESS,MSS

Thanks

Bala Duvvuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

I am totally in agreement with you. Just needed some strong points in support of having same portal for SRM also.

can you lost down some of the advantages which can be counted when SRM is having common frontend portal.

Regards,

Sanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you have common frontend portal you can create srm roles in the same portal as ESS and MSS and provide access to users .If users has both ess and srm roles they dont need to access two different portals to access their roles,they will have single url to access their roles(still you can use federated portal to combine all the portals but you need to some additional configuration like setting up diff portals,establishing connection between portals etc)

Thanks

Bala Duvvuri

0 Kudos

Running SRM with ESS/MSS/BI is not a problem. They are simply different applications running on the same infrastructure.

Your question can also be phrased as 'Should I run on a separate JAVA instance'. Well if you think your ESS/MSS portal is already under strain, then yes putting on SRM will also increase the load unless you scale your portal sizing.

Secondly, some clients like to separate out SRM and ESS/MSS so that there are no interdependencies when it comes to patching. For example you may be patching your SRM ABAP, which will in turn require a patch to SRM Business Package which may in turn require a patch to JAVA engine which may impact ESS Business package. Managing the sp stacks can be a little tricky if you run all your apps on one portal. So you can split them out and federate.

Just some thoughts...I know it doesn't tell you exactly what to do. Essentially it is not a problem...It is a question of strategy. In the past I've used SRM on same portal as ESS/MSS and used the SRM JAVA Portal for external users.

Regards

Mr.T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bala and MR. T for your valuable suggestions.

can you please let me know what are the difficulties I can face in connecting the two portal as in federation.

Regards,

Sanjay Patwal

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Federation: you'll have to define a consumer. If none of ESS/MSS or SRM is serving as a consumer, both will be producers and you'll have one new portal as a consumer.

For a better understanding of FPN:

As a FPN relieves you from some tasks, you have to check the SAP Notes to know about the problems (RRA are famous for disappearing). FPN adds more administrative overhead:

- Consumer needs to be higher than the producer, but the producer needs to get upgraded

- Themes

- User need to have the same user ID in consumer and producer

- Several new system trust are generated

- When something goes wrong: bug huntig for experts -> is it the consumer, producer, the cache, the permissions, the FPN?

br,

Tobias