cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRVS2010 beta - New Page Before option non consistent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The New Page Before option is on the paging tab on the section expert.

If I select this option on a group header report section, a new page is not inserted at the beginning of the report like it did in the previous version. Instead the first group prints on the first page.

On a report that has 2 group header sections, the new page before option does insert a blank page at the beginning of the report.

I've tried it with the "Keep Together" option on the common tab, selected and not selected and both of above situations still happen.

I guess my question is whether or not the code for the New Page Before option has been changed since CR2008 first came out. I know that there are service pack upgrades, but when I was using CR2008, I didn't install any of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I re-tested this again and still notice the same thing.

Below is how I tested.

I opened a report that only has one group. When I applied the new page before option for the group header section, the page break was created in the right place.

When I used a report that has 2 groups, regardless of which group header section that I applied the "new page before" option to, the page break was not right, as explained below

When applied to the group header 1 section, the first page of the report is blank

When applied to the group header 2 section, the first page prints the page header info and the group name and no detail records.

For reports with more than one group, it doesn't seem like the new page before option works as I thought it would (meaning that the page break is applied properly), so I created a formula for the new page before option.

What I'd like to know is if the output that I described above for reports with at least 2 groups is the way that the "new page before" option is suppose to work or if the option is really only meant to be used on reports that only have one group.

Thank you

Tracy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I looked into this some more and I think I know why I was originally seeing different behavour than you were, and may explain your latest results.

In a nutshell, what I found is that if the ReportHeader section is suppressed, then if GH1 has "New page before" option on, it will start on the first page (no blank first page). If RH is not suppressed, then GH1 will start on the 2nd page, leaving a blank first page.

In your 2 groups report, what I assume is that RH is not suppressed, so your GH1 starts on the 2nd page. As for what you see when you set the "new page before" option on GH2, this is expected. What's happening is that GH1 is displaying only the fields in GH1 (no details), and then GH2 starts on the next page which will display the fields from GH2 and the Details sections.

Does the above details match what you are seeing with your reports?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just tried this scenario with a sample report in both CR 2008 and with the CR for VS 2010 Beta and both have the same behavour. In both versions, the GH1 starts on the first page. Even with 2 Groups, if GH1 has the New Page Before option selected, it will display on the first page of the report, with subsequent groups starting on new pages. I believe this is the expected behavour.