cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring whole db Online backup with redologs backup

0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am planning to restore a whole DB online + redo logs backup, i have few doubts . please confirm..

On Step 8, Restore and apply archivelog files ...

First sequence number (first_seq) .. (eg) 7276

Last sequence number (last_seq) .. (eg) 7278

we probably only have to mention the last_seq.... Now question is , is this the last archive created when the backup finished...(ie 7278) and in the backup log, it was mentioned that the Next archivelog is 7279...

another question , when we are restoring this backup next day , can we apply archives created after 7278 to achive DB point in time..

Thanks & regards

Adnan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

S0007586158
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are attempting to recover database using backup control file

SQLPLUS> recover database using backup controlfile

If it works, the output looks will something Figure E:

ORA-00279: change 38666 generated at 03/14/98 21:19:05 needed for thread 1

ORA-00289: suggestion : /db/Oracle/admin/crash/arch/arch.log1_494.dbf

ORA-00280: change 38666 for thread 1 is in sequence #494

After execution of the above command, Oracle will ask for archive files to be consistent. As archive files contains only database changes commands, you will use source system archive file on new systems database recovery. Copy all archive files created since online backup on source system to archive directory of target system.

Yes you can apply all the files which was created after teh backup to do a point in time recovery.

Regards,

Sam

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Thank you..all..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find the answers below,

we probably only have to mention the last_seq.... Now question is , is this the last archive created when the backup finished...(ie 7278) and in the backup log, it was mentioned that the Next archivelog is 7279...

*The last archive log which is current is 7278 and the next log after the log switching will be 7279 *

another question , when we are restoring this backup next day , can we apply archives created after 7278 to achive DB point in time..

Yes, you can apply the logs created after the backup provided the logs are intact

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Varadhu...

0 Kudos

Dear Varadhu,

Thanks for your reply...can you please just confirm one thing...Once we have mentioned in the start that the last-seq is eg 7324, and we have started the Restore and data files have been restored...and the Brrecover is saying to restore the archive logs , at has started restoring the archive log files...till 7324...once we have restored all archives till 7324....and then system asks to open database in resetlogs....just before doing this activity at this point , system warns if u open the database , u will not be able to apply any more....

If we want to apply few more archive logs...is there a possibility that we can re define the last_seq... (before opening the database) as i couldnt find this option...please confirm this..

Thanks

Adnan

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you can.. Provided those archive log files are present

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

U have to recover the databse using the archive files after the backup was taken.

The archive files should be copied from the source system to the target but make sure that u rename those archive files as acceptable to the target system ie log_archive_format parameter of the target system. ie sid should be there in the name of the archive files.

One more thing if u wish to keep the target DB in sync with the source DB then u would need to apply all the archive files generated after the online backup was taken.

Make sure to open the database in resetlogs mode

In short the steps wud be as follows.

1. Issue the following in ur source system

alter database backup controlfile to trace ; .

2.Modify the .trc file as below created under usertrace directory which generally shud be /oracle/SID/saptrace/usertrace

a. CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "Target_SID" NORESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG

b.The directory structures of the redo log and datafiles as per the directory structure available in ur target system.

c.Remove all other lines from the file ur file should end with like character set ...;

d. Save the file as something.sql and copy it to the target system.

3. Restore the online backup on the target system ...don't need to restore the redo log files.

Also copy the archive file from the source system to the target system and rename them as per target system.

4. In the target system connect as sysdba

SQL> startup nomount

SQL> @something.sql

It wud say control file created and the DB will be mounted .

5. Now issue the command

Recover database using backup controlfile;

Apply the archives when done issue the following

alter database open resetlogs;

Regards

Kausik

0 Kudos

Dear Kausik,

Thanks for reply...I have tried the restore and i have selected the offline redo logs, almost all offline redo files sizes are 43.5 MB till log_seq 7324, but log_seq 4325 is 2 MB....and following offline are again 43.5 MB.. While defining the last log_seq shud i give till 7324 or i can continue , as i m doubtful abt the 2mb redo logfile..

Thanks

Adnan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Saeed,

Redo log file size should not be a matter of concern as it might happen due to manual switch of log file or may be during online backup it will switch over to complete onine backup, so size can vary from standard in these scenarios.

Regards,