cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64 bit to 32 bit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

I have a client that needs to create an ECC 6.0/Oracle system. The system that they want to create is on Windows 2003/Oracle 32 bit. They have a BRBACKUP from a Solaris 64 bit system Oracle database they want to use to restore the system with. My question is: Is it possible to go from 64 to 32. Can the database be restored using BRRESTORE after the SAP ECC installation? Or does a heterogeneous system copy need to take place?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have a client that needs to create an ECC 6.0/Oracle system. The system that they want to create is on Windows 2003/Oracle 32 bit. They have a BRBACKUP from a Solaris 64 bit system Oracle database they want to use to restore the system with.

This is not possible.

> Or does a heterogeneous system copy need to take place?

Yes, exaclty.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Are you saying I cannot go from 64 bit to 32 bit? Or you just saying I cannot do a database restore and use that backup?

Edited by: Jim McCollum on Jun 19, 2010 2:23 AM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Are you saying I cannot go from 64 bit to 32 bit? Or you just saying I cannot do a database restore and use that backup?

You can restore on the same operating system (32bit to 64bit) but not cross operating system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

I'm not trying to be a pain, but I'm talking about going from 64 bit to 32 bit. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since you change the OS - no, it's not possible.

Why do you want to go back to 32bit? This is deprecated. Almost all servers built in the last two years are 64bit capable.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

The 32bit system is what they have and want to put the system on. I've never heard of going from 64 to 32, that's why I'm asking if it's possible. So if the operating systems were the same, would it be possible?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If they were running on Windows x86_64 they could technically go back to x86, yes. The way Solaris --> Windows 32bit can only be done by a heterogeneous system copy. SPARC is a BigEndian platform, Windows is LittleEndian, Windows can't deal with the files created on Solaris.

Markus