cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value Proposition for implementing QM and batch management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I need help... I am currently in the process of trying to put together a Value Proposition for implementing SAP QM and batch management in a cosmetics manufacturing company. I know that there is a huge amount of potential value sitting in many of their processes, but we are having difficulty converting the SOFT ROI benefits to HARD ROI money based benefits.

A key thing to note is that there are also a number of other initiatives on the go in the company, and my particular project needs to compete and get a high priority before being implemented.

Please let me know if you have put something similar in place, and if so how?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My last meassge was broken up into paragraphs.

Seems SDN has some buggy problems. It has problems with too much text it appears.

Sorry if its hard to read.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig - very usel input for everyone who is into SAP QM consulting and project manaement. I really appreciate your time and energy in answering every possible question in this forum.I can see lot of change in this forum after you have started participating very actively.

Years back, I used to refer Craig (sapfans) inputs when I was new to process industry. I am assuming you are the same Craig. I am sure the users who are refering this forum will get very quality and professional solutions as long as you are willing to answer.

Cheers,

Ram

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Ram. your very kind. Yes.. one and the same. But I'm trying to keep a bit more anoynomous.

Guess it isn't working!

FF

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Its not an easy thing to do. The problem with quality costs is that it is usually involves the avoidance of issues that cost money and not what people think of as "saving money". Since it does cost to implement QM, you are adding to the overhead costs for the system but not reducing costs in a hard manner elsewhere. What you are attempting to reduce is the cost of bad quality such as customer returns due to defects and defective product as well as risk of serious injury to someone. What I'm amazed at is that being in a cosmetics industry already you weren't using this from the start. So I know that you must have some other systems in place that are tracking product quality.

So what you need to demonsrtrate is the cost of the "other process' vs. the SAP process. Will QM in SAP replace a LIMS? Will it replace paper? Will it speed up approval? Will it reduce mistakes from illegible handwriting. Will it reduce the time to compile reports, make require governmental reports, etc... Who is supporting these other systems? Cause they are out there. Maybe they are excel sheets. Is this data taking up server space? Is there any IT support for any of these quality systems. What about yearly licenses. If you have SAP already, QM is already there, no purchase necessary. Extra seat licensce may be needed depenidng on how many people are added to the system. Seems stupid to have a software, (SAP),and not maximize its use where you can.

Find out how much material was returned in the past year and why. What were the shipping costs or disposal costs? How much aged material is taking up inventory space? Warehouse space costs money. Some one in finance knows how much material was destroyed or written off for various reasons. Find that out. Even reducing that by 1% can be a significant amount of money.

Have you ever had a bad raw material find its way into production? Why? What happend? How much did it cost the company? Are the vendors audited? How? Who tracks it? Is it automated? Are there standard procedures?

Also, try to get a look at what other projects are trying to get approved and who you are competing against. For instance, if someone is trying to purchase a vendor tracking and compliance software and running into difficulty, they might be willling to utilize SAP for that and be willing to throw their weight (and cost analysis), behind your project. See if there are any LIMS upgrades in the near future. For the cost of a LIMS upgrade you might be able to bring in QM depending on the LIMS and the age of it.

Don't forget governmental compliance and regs. When was the last time you got fined by someone? (ask someone in legal). Its public record. Search the internet. What was reason? The cost?

Any failed audits for ISO? Would QM help with reducing costs there?

I hope this gives you some ideas.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the brilliant pointers.

I really appreciate the effort you took in answering, and I do believe that I will find loads of value in the points you mentioned. Im starting this week to do a bit of number digging, so will let you know if I need any more advice

Kind regards,

KG