cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Internal Table data from SAP to external Oracle Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a requirement of inserting a large amount of data from SAP to an external Oracle Database table. The data is stored in an internal table in an ABAP program I have written and I would like to execute a similar function to the ABAP statement INSERT <dbtab> FROM TABLE <internal table> to do a bulk insert into the Oracle database instead of millions of single insert statements.

I have attempted using the CL_SQL* classes as well as EXEC SQL commands to pass the internal table to a stored procedure that I have written in the external database that would receive the internal database as an array and then execute the PL/SQL statement FORALL.... However, it seems that the data type of an internal table is not supported as a parameter that can be passed from SAP to an external database. ST11 says "unknown ABAP type : 5"

Do you know of any method I could use to pass an internal table to the external Oracle database. Or do you know how I can determine how exactly SAP executes INSERT <dbtab> FROM TABLE <internal table> in an Oracle database so that I could mimick the logic in our external database.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have attempted using the CL_SQL* classes as well as EXEC SQL commands to pass the internal table to a stored procedure that I have written in the external database that would receive the internal database as an array and then execute the PL/SQL statement FORALL.... However, it seems that the data type of an internal table is not supported as a parameter that can be passed from SAP to an external database. ST11 says "unknown ABAP type : 5"

>

> Do you know of any method I could use to pass an internal table to the external Oracle database. Or do you know how I can determine how exactly SAP executes INSERT <dbtab> FROM TABLE <internal table> in an Oracle database so that I could mimick the logic in our external database.

Well, the easiest way would be to make use of the db multiconnect (see [documentation|http://help.sap.com/abapdocu_70/en/ABENOPENSQL_MULTICONNECT.htm] and/or notes #339092 - DB MultiConnect with Oracle as secondary database, #323151 u2013 Multiple DB Connections with Native SQL.

Just switch the connection for the insert statement like this:

INSERT <dbtab> FROM TABLE <i_tab> CONNECTION (<name>)

Apart from that you need to make sure that the data types of the columns from your internal tables matches those in the target database.

regads,

Lars

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for both replies, very much appreciated. Both worked exactly as described.

I decided to go with the INSERT CONNECTION option, as it turned out to be a simpler solution for my requirements.

Much appreciated.

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would insert to a local table first, to fully complete your application logic.

Set up the target as a DB_LINK then and a call of

FM db_execute_sql with

"insert into dblink_to_remote_tab select * from local_table_filled_before"

should do the job.

Volker