cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reporting against SAP function modules

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the SAP environment and I have created reports against SAP infosets before except for function modules.

I am trying to gauge the performance on reporting between infosets and function modules. I am able to view all the function modules in crystal reports and tried mapping the fields beginning with I_ IS( if i am right) to the design window and i don't see any records in the preview tab. The function module in question is also RFC enabled.

The function module is /RPM/ITEM_GETLIST ( SAP xRPM) which gives me the list of all portfolio items.

Is there any documentation I can refer to on how i can carry out reporting against function modules and web services? I would also like to know your opinions on the performances regarding these approaches. I would appreciate your help and expertise in this topic. Thanks a lot.

Regards

Vinnie

PS:- Do let me know if i need to post this question in other forums.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the fields with the "I_" in the beginning are INPUT (thats why there is the I_) columns based on the prompts.

example:

ABAP Function:

FUNCTION BAPI_SFLIGHT_GETLIST

IMPORTING

VALUE(FROMCOUNTRYKEY) LIKE BAPISFDETA-COUNTRYFR

VALUE(FROMCITY) LIKE BAPISFDETA-CITYFROM

VALUE(TOCOUNTRYKEY) LIKE BAPISFDETA-COUNTRYTO

VALUE(TOCITY) LIKE BAPISFDETA-CITYTO

VALUE(AIRLINECARRIER) LIKE BAPISFDETA-CARRID DEFAULT SPACE

VALUE(AFTERNOON) LIKE BAPI_AUX-AFTERNOON DEFAULT SPACE

VALUE(MAXREAD) LIKE BAPI_AUX-MAXREAD DEFAULT 0

EXPORTING

VALUE(RETURN) LIKE BAPIRET2 STRUCTURE BAPIRET2

TABLES

FLIGHTLIST STRUCTURE BAPISFLIST

that will result in Crystal Reports in several fields with "I_" - one example being FROMCOUNTRYKEY

the actual data is in the Table Flightlist and will show in CR as T_FLIGHTLIST

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo,

Thanks for getting back soon. I don't see any tables listed in the field explorer. All i see are entries beginning with I_, E_, X_ and F_. I checked the function module in the se 37 transaction. The tables in the function are check marked optional in the "tables" tab. Is this a reason for the issue?

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

this was just an example. seeing a Table as output depends on the actual function. Would suggest you talk to the person that created the function.

ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still no luck Ingo. We tried to create a custom function module for testing purposes, but Crystal wasn't able to detect any custom function modules. Do you knw what might be the issue?

We were planning to follow an infoset based approach for reporting purposes, however some data gets retrieved from BAPIs which makes it impossible to create joins within the infoset due to the absence of any common fields. I was recommended to create custom function modules for these reports. I was wondering if crystal reporting from a function module would be efficient as a long term solution and my experience is very limited in this area. Your inputs would be a great help.

Thanks

Vinnie

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

means you are not seeing any BAPI Functions or just your custom function not ?

ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can see the BAPI functions listed but not the custom ones created despite being RFC enabled. I am also unable to view the data after mapping the fields beginning with T_* to the report.

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

and all other requirements mentioned do fit the function ? its not just about enabling RFC. You can find the details in the installation Guide and user guide for the SAP integration Kit.

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ingo, I could view the custom FM in crystal by using the search table/FM feature in database expert.