Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing default transport directory in CTS+

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Is it possible to use a different transport directory in CTS+?

I have a transport group: ED1 -> EQ1 -> EP1 and it's working properly.

When I changed the DEPLOY_DATA_SHARE parameter (in EQ1 & EP1) to /usr/sap/trans/EP1, the export files from ED1 still went into /usr/sap/trans/data so, obviously, I got an error (file not found in /usr/sap/trans/EP1) when trying to import in EQ1.

How can I make the source system to use a different export directory?

Regards,

Dao

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Change transdir parameter in STMS , it will change.

Regards,

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gagan,

Thank you very much for a quick response. However, the TRANSDIR is flagged as global. What I'm trying to do (and it's my actual bigger problem) is trying add another non-ABAP transport group in the same domain controller (DC1) and separating the transport data. e.g.

ED1 -> EQ1 -> EP1 will be using /usr/sap/trans/EP1

ED2 -> EQ2 -> EP2 will be using /usr/sap/trans/EP2

What I came to find out is that, in CTS+:

1. It seems that the DEPLOY_DATA_SHARE directory name is fixed with <DIR_TRANS>/data and you cannot change it. i.e. if I change the TRANSDIR to /usr/sap/trans/EP1, the deploy directory will be /usr/sap/trans/EP1/data.

2. You cannot add a new non-ABAP system to a separate transport group (i.e. a newly created non-ABAP system will be automatically added to the existing non-ABAP group).

3. Even when I put all systems in the same transport group with separate transport routes and transport layers, when I used STMS_QA, the system selection pop-up screen cannot display any entries (showed blank lines) although the message at the bottom of the pop-up indicates that 2 entries found (supposedly EQ1 & EQ2). (This seems like a problem with patches, etc.)

I'm using CTS+ in SolMan NW 7.0 Ehp1. I read a lot of CTS+ documents/blogs (inlcuding Dolores' "CTS+ Configuration in Solution Manager 7.0 EhP1") and searched on SDN, SMP, help.sap, ... but couldn't find anything relevant.

I'd appreciate any insights on this.

Regards,

Dao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The problem you are facing because your /usr/sap/trans of solman is not shared with EP /usr/sap/trans.

Better you share trans directory of solman with EP landscape to avoid this problem,

Regards,

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gagan,

Thanks again. I guess you're talking about my problem #3. You're absolutely right and I knew that the /usr/sap/trans directory (from DC1) is not shared with ED1 and EP1 (it is shared with EQ1). Somehow, it still worked fine

The reason is that I'd like to see if I can use a different deploy directory for different transport groups within the same transport domain then I'd export the transport directories from the production target systems (e.g. EP1, EP2, ...) to the corresponding QA/Dev systems and DC1 instead of export the same transport dir from DC1 to all systems. e.g.

/usr/sap/trans/EP1 from EP1 would be shared among ED1, EQ1 and DC1

/usr/sap/trans/EP2 from EP2 would be shared among ED2, EQ2 and DC1

Right now, I won't be able to make a request to the Unix team unless I can be sure that I'd be able to create different transport groups for non-ABAP systems (using different deploy directories) within the same domain controller which it seems to be impossible

Regards,

Dao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have not tried this , and i dont have any system in front of me.

SO may be i will test and update you .

Regards,

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks again, Gagan.

I really appreciate it. I'll have to find a way to test it on my own also.

One thing I know for sure: I cannot create a new transport group (for another group of non-ABAP systems) since it is controlled by CTS+ (i.e. the creation of transport groups).

Regards,

Dao

Edited by: Dao Ha on Jun 18, 2010 5:27 AM

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We had a conversation with SAP and it is confirmed that we won't be able to create a separate transport group (for non-ABAP systems) within the same domain controller. Hence, the same transport directory is recommended for a transport group. It is suggested that, in our case, we'd create another domain controller and create a domain link.

I'm closing this thread. Thanks again, Gagan, for all your help.

Regards,

Dao

Edited by: Dao Ha on Jun 30, 2010 11:10 AM

Edited by: Dao Ha on Jun 30, 2010 11:12 AM

Answers (0)