cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

em/initial_size_MB VS em/blocksize_KB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

This is related to em/initial_size_MB setting on standard UNIX. We are at WEB AS 6.40. Our em/initial_size_MB is set to 20GB. The em/blocksize_KB is set to 4096, which is default. I am reading note 835474 and it says that <b>The number of extended memory blocks is still limited to 16,384</b>. I think it is talking about the max value for em/blocksize_KB. Then it further says that <b>To use 96 GB, the size of the blocks must be increased to 8 MB</b>.

Now my question is that what should be the value of em/blocksize_KB, if I want to increase the em/initial_size_MB. I am planning to increase from 20GB to 35GB as we got more RAM.

The note 835474 does not talk about the multiplication factor between these two parameters.

I am still not clear about the max limit of em/initial_size_MB when em/blocksize_KB=4096 or in general how to find out the max value of extended memory based on em/blocksize_KB.

Can anybody please explain?

I will appreciate your help.

Tank you in advance to everybody.

SC.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sume,

Yes, that's correct and how I understand it too.

Regards,

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sume,

Reading the note it seems to imply a direct relationship between em/initial_size_MB, em/blocksize_KB and the fixed value for the maximum number of extended memory blocks of 16,384.

This implies that the maximum value for the size of the extended memory (em/initial_size_MB) with a block size of 4Mb (em/blocksize_KB = 4096) is 16,384 x 4096K = 64Gb.

If you are planning to increase your extended memory allocation to 35Gb, then you should not need to increase the block size.

This is how I understand the note. Hopefully my calculations are correct!

Regards,

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much.

So is it correct to say that 16,384 is not the maximum value of em/blocksize_KB, which i was thinking and got confused.

The maximum <b>number</b> of blocks is 16,384.

The <b>size</b> of the block is defined using em/blocksize_KB.

When muliplied, we get the maximum sixe of the extended memory.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Your help will be appreciated.

SC.