cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing SQL that creates Universe Objects?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to document the SQL statements that are used within our Universes for our Change Control system. I've looked throughout the Universe Designer, but haven't found anything other than the select for each individual object. Is there any way to view the complete SQL statement for the Universe, or at least for an entire class?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, you may find this utility very useful for your purposes:

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=59650

This utility is VBA and hosted in Excel. When you run the script it extracts all of the universe information (not just object SQL, but joins, contexts, and so on) into an Excel workbook. You can then use it to compare or document universes.

Also another version (I have not used this one but it's also available) here:

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=141886

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you want to retrieve SQL statements per object or for the whole universe?

If it is per object you can do it using Desginer SDK and develop a custom .Net application.

Otherwise there is no other way because the SQL generated depends on the query content, the prompt answers, the contexts, the filters, etc.

So there aretons and tons of different SQL statements that can be generated on a single universe. So there is no solution in that case.

Regards

Didier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reimert,

I am not in Universe Designer right now, but if you go into Tools, and then Options I believe, there is a tab for "Print or PDF". If you go there, it will ask you to select the things you want to print (or document). Then when you go to File>Print>Print Preview it will show you how it will look if you either print it or save to .pdf file.

It gives you the code for each object in your Universe, along with a lot of other information. That may be what you want.

Thanks!