cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Attributes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need some help with the requirement for the below IMG activity. Namely, I need the process for creating the attributes. Data Dictionaries are new to me.

thanks.

Definition of Customer Attributes for Object Types

Use

You can define a user attribute here. Then assign it to an object. The Transactions, Configuration and Development tabs show the object types . The attribute is project and solution-independent, and is shown in an object dialog box in the Other Attributes tab.

Requirements

The attributes of the attribute are specified in the table or structure fields in the Data Dictionary, so they must be maintained there.

For example:

Integer or Character

Field length

Value help

Activities

To create a user attribute:

1. Choose New Entries.

2. Enter a name and description of the attribute.

The name and description are shown later in the object dialog window, and you cannot change the name after you have saved, so use a meaningful name and description.

3. Save.

Specify attribute attributes:

4. Select an attribute and choose Attribute Attributes in the tree.

5. Specify a Data Dictionary table or structure field or choose from the value help.

6. Specify in the field Value Check:

whether the entry is to be checked against a value list. These values are offered as selection help.

whether it is a required field.

7. In the field Multiple Values, whether this attribute can take only one, or several values.

8. In the field Visibility whether the field is visible in the attribute dialog.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jason,

sorry for late response and maybe cause i wasn't clear enough in my previous posts.

Yes, your requirement seems to me like you need a specific table !

I found on Internet a step by step guide to "how to create a specific table in SE11": http://abaplovers.blogspot.com/2008/02/creating-table-in-sap.html

I think that this will respond to many of your questions. This example is complete because not only it shows how to create a table but also how to create the maintenance view (SE30) of the table.

So in your specific case (attribute business areas); I would suggess creating a table ZMYBUSCASES by following steps described in guide provided.

Instead of choosing their data elements we will choose ones that are adapted to your case.

Field 1 (key) : a 5 characters data element should be fine; for example : /SAPSLL/CHAR05

Field 2 (description) : a 30 characters data element with an assigned search help (because i guess you have a predefined list of business areas). for example: ZDESCR

Prerequisite :

- you have to create the Z data element (ZDECR) in SE11 still of type CHAR 30 and assign to it a Z search help that you ll create in step 2

- create a Z search help in SE11 (for example ZSHBUSATTRDESCR) that collect data from your ZTABLE and returns field ZDESCR

Activate your

- Z search help

- Z data element

- Z table

and adjust in spro the assignment of attributes

I know this might seem quite difficult the first time ...

don't hesitate asking for more clarification !

You can also give me your email adress so i can send you screen shots for steps that are missing in the given link (z data element and z search help)

Regards

Khalil

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Khalil. You've been very helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Khalil,

is it just experience that tells you to use the /SAPSLL/CHAR05?

which data element would you suggest for the ZDECR? There are millions to choose from

Edit: Ah I reread your post, I have to create the data element.

thanks,

Jason

Edited by: Jason Hickok on Jun 23, 2010 12:54 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Khalil,

I have a follow up question. I have done the following steps:

1. I created a function group in SE37

2. I activated in in SE80

3. I created a data element in SE11 for my description (30 chars)

4. I created a table in SE11 and used CHAR05 for my ID and my custom data element for the description, and assigned the function group in technical details

5. I created a search help for my custom table

in SPRO

6. I defined the customer attributes of object types. New entries > gave the attribute a name and description. Assigned the table, field name (description), single value, attribute is visible.

7. I assigned the customer attribute to objects New Entries > Project and Solution Node: Assign Attributes (order =1, value check = no check)

When I highlight a process step in SOLAR01 and go to the customer attributes tab, I see my attribute, but there are no values to select.

Any idea why I don't see ay values?

Lots of place to screw up here for sure, but I've checked everything multiple times.

thanks,

Jason

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

The link that explains how to create your table in SE11 should be fine

- Can u please confirm that you have entries in your table in transaction SE16 ?

- In transaction SM30 can u access to the modification view oof your ZTABLE ? If that s the case; please add entries to table

Those are prerequisite so that your search help gives you a list of entries (the ones you maintain in SM30)

If those lines above still don't solve your problem; maybe you can take screenshots of your z table - z data element - z serch help so i can take a look. You can use www.4shared.com for free to upload docs !

Good luck !

Khalil

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Jason,

If you look well at my screenshot in my previous post you ll see that my search help exports only ZDESCR (that is the description of the customer attribute).

So In your table definition (SE11) make sure you assigned search help to correspondant field in tab 'Entry help/check' as shown in joined screen shots

http://www.4shared.com/account/file/Pc0LveJa/_2__Jason_SDN_-_Hickock.html

Hope this helps

Regards

Khalil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khalil,

I started from scratch. The only new thing was adding the search help to the data table. Still no luck.

My screen looks just like yours; it is only exporting the description as well.

I know it's something simple like a checkbox or something. Are you sure the table creation process on that link is correct?

regards,

Jason

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi jason,

If you don't see anything when clicking on matchcode, that means that your searchelp doesnt't work as expected.

In SE11, you can test it. Please make sure that when executing (F8) your search help in SE11 you see the list.

Here is an example that might help u have a 'correct' search help :

http://www.4shared.com/file/aUpc48Aj/Jason_SDN_-_Hickock.html

Hope this helps,

Regards

Khalil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khalil,

well it looks like I've at least done most of this right, my search help test returned my two table values (just like in your screenshot). The SPRO directions are straight forward, I don't think I messed that part up. Weird.

Jason

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

depending on what kind of attribute you want to add, you ll do different things on se11 or you might even not use SE11 transaction.

I ll take the example that i first chose. You want to add a date as an attribute to your program.

You know (thanks to F1, then technical information button on a date field) that it's for example a data element of type TRDATE or POSTING_DATE or whatever, a random data element AND that its contained in the table TRHEADER OR CRMD_ORDERADM_H or whatever table in Solman.

All the information you need will be displayed by doing F1 of a kind of element you re interested in and by clicking on Technical Info...

Values displayed can be used to set YOUR custom attribute for SOLAR01/02.

PS: Important info in your case are "Field Name" & "Table Name" when looking at tech info

Maybe i can also help u directly with the actual attribute you re trying to add !

Hope that helps !

Regards,

Khalil

Edited by: Khalil SERRHINI on Jun 17, 2010 3:48 PM

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

let's say you want to add a date to the attributes of a program in SOLAR02; like for example date of start !

1 - In SPRO -> Definition of Customer Attributes for Object Types

a - you ll first create a customer attribute (name, description) for ex (zstartdate, start dev date)

b - you ll create property for this attribute (table name, fieldname, multiple values, visibility) for ex (CRMD_ORDERADM_H, POSTING_DATE, SINGLE-VALUE-ATTRIBUTE, Attribute is visible)

AT THIS POINT THE TABLE NAME DOES NT REALLY MATTER CAUSE WE RE NOT GONNA CHECK VALUE OF ATTRIBUTE. WE JUST NEED A TABLE THAT CONTAINS A DATE SO WE CAN HAVE THE RIGHT DATA ELEMENT !! AND THIS ONE DOES CONTAIN A DATE !!

2 - In SPRO -> Assign Customer Attributes to Objects

a - Choose Object Type Program (Object Type) ex (Program)

b - Assign attribute created in step 1 to program (Customer Attribute Name, Attribute Order, Value Check) ex (zstartdate, 1, Input Required) with options like mandatory, check of content ...

3 - After this if you go to SOLAR02, in Development Tab and you select attributes of an object type 'Program Name'; you ll see in a new tab names Other Attributes; YOUR NEW ATTRIBUTE ZSTARTDATE

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Khalil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khalil,

I understand the two tasks decribed in the IMG notes, what I dont understand is how to do the requirement.

Unfortunately, your description doesn't get me much closer.

b - you ll create property for this attribute (table name, fieldname, multiple values, visibility) for ex (CRMD_ORDERADM_H, POSTING_DATE, SINGLE-VALUE-ATTRIBUTE, Attribute is visible)

AT THIS POINT THE TABLE NAME DOES NT REALLY MATTER CAUSE WE RE NOT GONNA CHECK VALUE OF ATTRIBUTE. WE JUST NEED A TABLE THAT CONTAINS A DATE SO WE CAN HAVE THE RIGHT DATA ELEMENT !! AND THIS ONE DOES CONTAIN A DATE !!

From what I have been able to tell, I go to tcode SE11 - ABAP Dictionary Maintenance, but I am not really sure what exactly I do here. My guess is I enter my Ztable name into the Database Table field, but I wanted to get some advice from the community before I just fumble along in the system.

jiamin_pan
Participant
0 Kudos

It depends the type of object u want to add in the attribute.

What Khalil means is that u dont have to create ur own table in SE11 if u can just use 1 attribute from a standard table.

The exemple he has given means that u can reuse tha date type from a existing table and add it to the custom field in SOLAR02.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, the fuzziness is starting to go away.

My specific examples are:

- I want to use attributes for business areas that can be assigned to the blueprint structure process steps.

- I also want to use them for configuration cycles, to assign them to IMG objects.

These both seem like custom tables to me.