cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Netweaver mobile 7.1 and smartphone applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Im very new to SAP mobile applications. I have experience in developing applications using Webdynpro for ABAP. My queries are:

1. If i have a webdynpro application can i launch it on smartphones?

2. Why do we need a seperate SAP netweaver mobile 7.0 or 7.1 when we can design Webdynpro applications from earlier versions too.

3. Why did SAP merged SYBASE to implement mobile applications when already we have netweaver mobile.

4. How to start a application which can be tested on Blackberry 9630 simulator. Do we need to follow some guidelines?

Thanks and Regards,

Asif.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member206242
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

a) SAP Netweaver Mobile 7.1 supporst mobile applications for Windows Mobile smart phones & handhelds.

b) Normal webdynpro applications can not be directly used on mobile/PDA. You need to model mobile applications using the mobile perspective for handheld which is based on a lighter version of webdynpro for rendering & execution on an actual PDA.

c) SAP-Sybase solution is an asset for developing mobile application for various different mobile platforms/devices. SAP netweaver mobile as of now only supports windows mobile.

Regards,

Nipun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nipun,

As you said it will support only windows mobiles, is there any way in middleware were we can launch application on Blackberry.

Can you eloborate on sybase means where exactly it sits in this netweaver and what are its advatages.

Regards,

Asif.

former_member206242
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can see this and other articles on SDN related to this:

/people/ramprasadh.kothandaraman/blog/2010/06/01/sap-sybase-co-innovation-platform-for-enterprise-mobility

For enabling blackberry client/apps either you need to write a custom client for DOE for Blackberry or use Sybase solution with SAP for blackberry devices.

Regards,

Nipun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nipun,

The link that you provided does not seem to work. Could you provide the correct link?

I was interested in building custom BB application using NW Mobile 7.1. Is that possible? What is required to achieve that?

I understand that developing BB Online applications and BB occasionally online/offline applications by calling SAP Web services can be done. The second option does not need DOE.

Can custom BB applications (occasionally connected) be developed that use DOE, NW Mobile 7.1 etc or is this only possible for Windows mobile devices? Or is it possible to develop Blackberry Apps using NW Development studio? If yes, can UI on the thick client be modified to look nicer? What is required to achieve this?

Edited by: Ashish Saxena on Aug 26, 2010 2:09 PM

former_member206242
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ashish,

NW Mobile 7.1 has two parts one is the DOE which is the mobile middleware and other is client (Handheld client) which has a perspective in NWDS to develop mobile apps & run them on a Windows Mobile device. The client is a seperate entity than DOE and it includes all implementations also for using DOE.

Yes you are right if you directly SAP web service or APIs then DOE does not come into picture and you will not be able to use DOE features.

SAP & Sybase provide blackberry client which talks to DOE. But in case you want to write your own custom client, then I suggest you would need to start writing the BB Apps & Client which can connect, sync, deploy from DOE.

RIM provides plugins for eclipse to model mobile applications like Android. You can use the same. It works both with standard eclipse & NWDS, since its a eclipse plugin. But this will only help you to write app which can say talk to SAP web services. But to connect to DOE you would need to write a thin client too which can take care of connection, synchronization, message download upload etc.

Regards,

Nipun

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not possible to use web dynpro on smart phone, but with xml and html , it's possible.