cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compress Smartform PDF file before sending mail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I need to compress PO smartform.Smartform already converted into PDF file.Vendor received this file as an attachement in their mail box.Vendor complains that file size is too large.They want to compress that PDF file before sending mail.

Anybody can suggest how to compress a smartform which is already converted into PDF.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi diya, was your issue resolved? if so, please let me know how to fix the issue. even i've the same requirement like how you faced.

please help me if you have resolved this issue.

tr, murali...

Former Member
0 Kudos

What device type is your PDF converter? (txn: SPAD, Output Devices: PDF). It may not fully support the character set and as a result inserts a soft font into the file. Try opening one of the large PDFs and look at the fonts used under properties and see if any are embedded.

satyajit_mohapatra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure whether it will make any difference, if you ZIP the file before sending it through email. Still try once to send a zipped file instead of directly sending the PDF and check if it helps.

Check this link.....

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAP/CL_ABAP_ZIPusage-ZippingABAPreportoutput?focusedCommentId=187336343

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satyajit,

Thanks for the reply and valuable suggestion.Even I am doing zip of the PDF,only 30-35 KB difference is coming as a result.

The file size is 618 KB and the user wants it max upto 60 KB.I checked the logo size too but its only 9 KB.

Please advice how to compress the file or if u want more information on this.

Urgently needed...Plz Help.

satyajit_mohapatra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If zipping the file is not helping, then may be you need to check the content of the PDF. How many pages are there in your PDF?

If the size of the PDF is arourd 600 KB, then I'm not sure whether it can be brought down to 60 KB using compression techniques. Check if you can split the content of the PDF and send it, otherwise avoid use of bulky graphics and formatting and check.

Former Member
0 Kudos

60KB is VERY small for a PDF. I think you'll need to simplify the smart form to accomplish it. Keep the number of fonts down, avoid graphics, etc. It could be a lot of work to meet this one vendor's requirements.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael/Satyajit,

First of all thanks for the suggestions.

Actually I am working for a application maintenance project and after go-live user is complaining that previously the PO form size was 57 KB and after this implementation the form size is 618KB that is not acceptable.

I checked with the legacy system and found that the previous form was developed using SAPScript,converted to PDF and then used to send as an attachement to user mail box.

The new development environment using Smartform for PO form and then it is converted to PDF and send as an attachement to user mail box.I checked with the Logo and the logo size is only of 9KB.No other graphics used in the form.The developer had used 3-4 boxes in the form and page format is landscape. Style is used in the form and the used font is courier,font size is 10 pt .

Will change in style's font and font size reduces the size upto that level??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

most likely your problem has to do with the fact that you are using a font type or size that has not been imported into the SAP system. In that case, the PDF is not created based on the text, but as a sort of scan, blowing up you file size.

Check the fonts and sizes used and if they are installed in the system ( trx SPAD).

Roy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RobbdB,

Thanks for the reply but the PDF is getting generated and it's getting mailed too.We can open the attachement and see the PO Form.

Issue is with the file size only.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know the pdf is getting generated, that will happen without problem. But the file size will increase dramatically if you are only missing one font size in the system. It is really worth checking out. I have had this issue with clients quite a few times.

Roy