cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag&Drop between two windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am interested to know if in the latest version of abap webdynpro it is possible to do drag&drop between two windows?

And if it is possible to have a floating part of a window ( that I can move it around the screen )?

Thanks

Nitsan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thank u Thomas and Chris for your helpful answers!

Still there is something I want to be sure about, the interaction that can be done between this floating window

and the opening window.

Can both window stay active and communicate between them?

Ill give an example of what I mean:

Lets say that I have window with few tables from this window I open another window with a list. now I want to dynamically

move an item from this list to one of the tables in the parent window or move an item from one of the tables to this list.

Can this scenario be implemented in abap webdynpro?

Thanks,

Nitsan

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately no.

When you create a modal window - all the activity must exist in that window only - not possible to drag onto the background.

Perhaps for your use case you should consider the "windows" appearing in another panel in your main window, rather than appearing as new windows in their own right.

Good luck - sounds like an interesting development.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

When you say drag and drop between windows - do you mean between browser and native OS application? If so, browsers do not allow this.

In 7.02 you can perform drag and drop between FlashIslands and the surrounding WDA area.

>And if it is possible to have a floating part of a window ( that I can move it around the screen )?

Yes. That has been a capability since the original 7.0 shipment of WDA. Dialog windows. The same technology used to display the value help. You can place a view or component usage in a dialog window.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yes. That has been a capability since the original 7.0 shipment of WDA. Dialog windows. The same technology used to display the value help. You can place a view or component usage in a dialog window.

Unless there have been developments that I have missed these are modal windows - you cannot have, for example, a toolbar type window floating on your application. I'm not sure the OP was asking specifically about modal windows.

Will non-modal type windows eventually be supported? The toolbar window or the pinned value help selection usage cases are ones that I could see being very useful in the applications I'm developing.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

There are no plans for non-modal windows. In the browser this is rather difficult to do without having a separate browser window - which then complicates communication both between windows and back to the server session. That is part of the reason why the dialog windows in WD use dynamic HTML and layered frames. That avoids such complications, but does lock you into the cavas area of the browser.

As far as pinning or re-arranging screen elements, you can of course do that. You can use drag and drop to move any section of the UI within the same browser window.