cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After upgrading Kernel to 236, unable to START or STOP SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have SAP ECC 6.0 on AIX 5.3 OS & Oracle 10.

I have updated SAP KERNEL to 236 (latest) and after that I am unable to start or stop SAP. I perform the following steps to upgrade the Kernel.

This procedure will help you to update your SAP Kernel in a SAP ABAP based system such as ECC 6.0.

1. First of all, go to the SAP Service Marketplace (service.sap.com), and download your desired kernel version:

Downloads --> SAP Support Packages --> Entry by Application Group --> SAP NetWeaver --> SAP Netweaver --> SAP Netweaver <version> --> Entry by Component --> <select component> --> <select your system version> --> #Database independent (this is the part I. In the same step, select your database to download the part II of the package).

2. After you have the two parts downloaded, log into the OS level and uncar the 2 parts in separate directories. Copy the part I in a new folder, and copy the part II into the same folder

3. Stoped SAP, the database, SAPOSCOL, sapccm* and saprouter.

4. Backup the old kernel. Usually it is located in: </usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/<uc or nuc>/<system>. it might also be located in /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run. The default kernel location is: /sapmnt/SID/exe . When the SAP instance is starting up by startsap command, the kernel from /sapmnt/SID/exe is overwriting the kernel in /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run . So always is better to upgrade kernel in /sapmnt/SID/exe directory.

5. Delete the old backed up kernel, and copy the new kernel there.

6. if on Unix as user root : saproot.sh [SID]

I have then restarted the SERVER and the tried to Start SAP but getting the following error.

startsap

/usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run/startsap[32]: /tmp/sh1056834.13: 0403-005 Cannot create

stopsap

/usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run/stopsap[32]: /tmp/sh921686.13: 0403-005 Cannot create the specified file.

Please help me to fix this issue ASAP.

Kind Regards

Ahsan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have sent the email to the SAP Support as well.

I have checked that <sid>adm has permitted to create files in /tmp, however I have again set the permission.

Logged in as a root .

1. chmod 777 /var/tmp/**

1. chmod 770 /tmp/**

After performing these commands I am still getting the same error.

Now what next I will do?

Thanks and Regards

Ahsan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

try to execute

sh -x `which startsap`

Then we will see exactly where the script exits.

Markus

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

deeraj_shetty
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Faced similar issue in PI 7.31 (dual-stack).

Resolved by changing permission of tmp.

Regards,

Deeraj Shetty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

-

sh -x `which startsap`

-

Above command worked like charm

You are really Genius. Thank you very much for all your help

Issue Resolved.

Warm Regards

Ahsan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Above command worked like charm

So that means what? Could you start your system or did you find out the problem?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I have sent the email to the SAP Support as well.

I have checked that <sid>adm has permitted to create files in /tmp, however I have again set the permission.

Logged in as a root .

1. chmod 777 /var/tmp/**

1. chmod 770 /tmp/**

After performing these commands I am still getting the same error.

Now what next I will do?

Thanks and Regards

Ahsan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> startsap

> /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run/startsap[32]: /tmp/sh1056834.13: 0403-005 Cannot create

>

> stopsap

> /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run/stopsap[32]: /tmp/sh921686.13: 0403-005 Cannot create the specified file.

Please check if <sid>adm is permitted to create files in /tmp.

> Please help me to fix this issue ASAP.

This is a public forum and your question are answered by volunteers. If you have a serious issue you should use the official support channels to demand/request help, this here is not the right place to get something 'ASAP'.

Markus