cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding new fields to repository

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

1. I have created a repository and also imported the data into the repository. Now, their is a need to add new fields to the repository(lookup & main tables). what is the process I need to follow.

2. If I add the fields directly in the tables or create a new table in console, will I have to create new import maps & what about the data residing in the repository .......... how do I fill up the new fields.

>>>>>>>>>>>. could you pls help me get a clear understanding of what needs to be done.

your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ve.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. I have created a repository and also imported the data into the repository. Now, their is a need to add new fields to the repository(lookup & main tables). what is the process I need to follow.

2. If I add the fields directly in the tables or create a new table in console, will I have to create new import maps & what about the data residing in the repository .......... how do I fill up the new fields.

Hi ,

I have created a repository and also imported the data into the repository. Now, their is a need to add new fields to the repository(lookup & main tables). what is the process I need to follow.

To add a new field into repository

1.Unload the repository.

2.add a field into any table and set the properties that you want.

3.Load the repository

If I add the fields directly in the tables or create a new table in console, will I have to create new import maps & what about the data residing in the repository .......... how do I fill up the new fields.

Nothing happend to your old data.

To include it in maps is depend upon yr requirement or field properties

1.If the field has calculated property then there is no need to include in map.

2.Otherwise,You have to update the maps through which you are importing data into new fields.

If you have any other question then please get back to me.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi sudhanshu,

Thanks for the quick reply.

So as i understand, when I create the new fields in the console thru unload/load, the new fields in the repository will initially be having NULL values.

Now if I have to fill up these NULL values, should ask the team to provide a new file having the OLD+NEW values file or NEW values file only.

also one more thing if there are more than 1 import maps, is their a way to specify the sequence of the import maps in MIDS.(saying which needs to be imprted 1st and followed by next)

Rgds,

ve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So as i understand, when I create the new fields in the console thru unload/load, the new fields in the repository will initially be having NULL values.

Now if I have to fill up these NULL values, should ask the team to provide a new file having the OLD+NEW values file or NEW values file only.

also one more thing if there are more than 1 import maps, is their a way to specify the sequence of the import maps in MIDS.(saying which needs to be imprted 1st and followed by next)

Hi ,

No there is no need to provide data for other fields.The only data required is the record matching field and the new field

I dont have any idea about how to set up sequence of maps.

I will try to get info abt the sequence,

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veena,

You can go in either ways during Import Manager Matching field will take care of this things, as you can use there option Update (Null Fields Only), so in this manner only null field (New field) values will be populated.

This thing you can take care using PI (Middleware) by maintaining order in Interface Determination.

Please refer 2nd last reply from end by Aamir for more details:

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veena

You can follow a simple approach to handle this-

1. define new fields/tables in the repository schema.

2. Prepare a source file which contains data for the newly added fields along with the primary key/matching fields used for the main table import.

3. Import this file to update the NULL fields cretaed newly with a new import map.

4. You can also reuse the existing imprt map used for loading data. The map needs to be enhanced for the new fields mappings and also in the import action you can select Update all Null fields.

To sequence the imprts pease follow the steps as mentioned correctly by Mandeep.

regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

THANKS to all ........ for all the quick replies and the help provided

Answers (0)