cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple File Download Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In my application there is a attachments section, which displays all the attachments in a table with file name as LinkToAction UI element, in the action handler of the link i am using CL_WD_RUNTIME_SERVICES=>ATTACH_FILE_TO_RESPONSE method to push the attachment to the client.

when i click the 3 links simultaneously it opens the 2 attachments but the 3 rd click hangs and returns in page not found error.

Is this behaviour anything to do with ICM parameters or a bug? I am running SAP_BASIS component SAPKB70010

Thanks

Abhi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

What do you mean - "When you click three links simultaniously"? You can't really click them simultaniously. Do you mean that you just click all three really fast? I'm a little confused. You shouldn't really click another link until the download from the previous is completed. The browser limits the number of simultanious downloads - generally to two. It could be that the server cache is timing out waiting its turn for the third download.

Are these three downloads actually disconnected or is the content related? Will people always trigger all three at once? If so, consider just having one download. ZIP the content from the three downloads togeter into one stream using CL_ABAP_ZIP and just have one download link.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

What do you mean - "When you click three links simultaniously"? You can't really click them simultaniously. Do you mean that you just click all three really fast? I'm a little confused. You shouldn't really click another link until the download from the previous is completed. The browser limits the number of simultanious downloads - generally to two. It could be that the server cache is timing out waiting its turn for the third download.

Are these three downloads actually disconnected or is the content related? Will people always trigger all three at once? If so, consider just having one download. ZIP the content from the three downloads togeter into one stream using CL_ABAP_ZIP and just have one download link.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

abhimanyu_lagishetti7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> What do you mean - "When you click three links simultaniously"? You can't really click them simultaniously. Do you mean that >you just click all three really fast? I'm a little confused.

when i click the first link it opens the download dialog, keeping that dialog untouched i am able to click the second link and it opens the download dialog, similarly when i click the third link it hangs.

>The browser limits the number of simultanious downloads - generally to two

I think this is the reason for the behaviour, when i open or save the second download dialog, the third dialog is opened, can we change this limitation of the browser?

>It could be that the server cache is timing out waiting its turn for the third download.

I think this is not the problem. if it times-out, it will return a short dump but it says page not found.

Thanks

Abhi

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>I think this is the reason for the behaviour, when i open or save the second download dialog, the third dialog is opened, can we change this limitation of the browser?

I do believe this is the reason why your download stalls. I still think you should consider consolidating the downloads if possible. As far as the browser setting, I'm sure you would have to research on the internet if this is a setting that can be controlled. I'm sure the answer varys by browser type/release level.

> think this is not the problem. if it times-out, it will return a short dump but it says page not found.

I'm not so sure. I'm not talking about your application timing out. That would produce a short dump. When the content is downloaded, it is placed into the ICM Server Cache temporarily with a relatively short lifetime. If too much time passes from when the server event is triggered and when the ICM actually starts being able to pass the file to the client, you might have exceeded the ICM cache time entry on this particluar item. This doesn't trigger the normal WD short dump, but instead the ICM returns a not found HTTP code as though a MIME object had been deleted.