Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conceptual question about Project Documentation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all:

Here Im again with my solman questions.

Im dealing with Project Documentation (solar01/02) for our maintenance project, we are planning the migration from our old project documentation system to SOLMAN and I have some doubts about all the tabs where I can store the information.

I have been reading that all documentation must be stored in the "project Documentation" tab, but I find it a little messy.

Could we store, for example, the configuration documents in the configuration tab? and the functional desings and technical designs in the development tab?? There would be any side effect on that?

Thanks and regards!

Federico.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Frederico,

Unfortunately, even the SAP course content does not talk that much about the conceptual part of the transactions. It shows you the functionalities and that's all. ALSO, there is no right answer about how to use those functionnalities. I mean, for example keywords can be used for many many different purposes depending on the context.

Anyway, SMI310 (= Solman Implementation if I remember well) course content will definitely respond to many of your interrogations

Good Luck

Khalil

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Federico,

Just to give the other point of view, I'd recommend the opoosite to keep it orgnanized.

I recommend the project documentation tab for blueprint items. You shouldn't be creating config docs and technical specs until realization, which is SOLAR02. Keeping configuration documentation alongside the IMG objects helps you manage configuration all in one place. Same with development.

Also, this helps when running reports. You don't want to run two reports or a cross tab analysis report to see the current status of configuration and the configuration documentation.

my $.02

regards,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Jason! I will have to think it over then, it seems that SAP recommends store everything at project documetnation tab, but some people might tend to store some items at other tab

khalil_serrhini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Frederico,

it is technically possible to store documents in the 3 tabs you mentionned (Prod Doc., Configuration, Development) and even in others like Transaction BUT that is not how its supposed to be used.

The idea of SOLAR01 & SOLAR02 is that in Solar01 (where you only have Proj Doc) you do the design of the solution and that includes config doc, funct. spec & tech. spec... pretty much the blueprint AND Solar02 is only a tool that helps doing the implementation of the selected scope in Solar01 (check box in front of nodes of the structure described in Solar01). All documents of SOLAR01 (Proj Doc tab) will be transfered to SOLAR02 !

In order to differentiate different kind of documents (even if they re in the same tab; so its not messy) you have different tools

- the document type (you can have your own ones that you can create in solar_project_admin with templates

- the keywords

Regards

Khalil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent answer Khalil, just what I was looking for.

Before closing the thread let me ask you one last question; where did you learn all that?? I mean, i went through all the SAP documentation and never could find such concepts. Do you know the code of SAP material that covers the topic of project documentation, so that I can buy it??

Thank you very very much!

Federico.